The Cabinet

MIRA MALFOY

Draco paced back and forth, biting his nails. He shook his head, running a hand through his hair, and faced me.

"Kill Dumbledore? I mean that's... that's crazy! How the hell are we supposed to do that? He's the damn Headmaster— we can't kill him."

"Draco, you heard Voldemort—"

"Don't say his name."

"Voldemort said we cannot disobey his orders or else. Dumbledore... we— we can find a way. We have to. If we don't live up to what we agreed on, our family can be in danger. We can't let that happen."

"We're only sixteen! We didn't agree on anything, we were forced to do this! Mira... how are you okay with this? How can you live knowing this is what we've become?"

"You think that's how I feel? Draco— I was dreading the day we found out before it even happened. I was terrified when I heard you screaming in pain— I feel like cutting everyone out of my life because if we're being honest here, I'm dangerous.

"It's like being a threat to everyone around you. I'm not okay with any of this. I feel just the exact same way you do, so don't you dare tell me how I feel about any of this!"

Draco stopped pacing at my outburst, and sat down next to me on the bed. He looked forward, then his hands in his lap. "I'm scared. What if I fail our task and he does something to Mum or you? What would I do, huh?"

"Draco..." I hesitantly held his hands in mine, waiting a few seconds to see if he was uncomfortable or not. "You do realize that you're not alone in this right? You have me to help you throughout the whole way. You and me... we're supposed to be a team. We're in this together."

Something happened which I never thought I'd see; Draco was crying. He leaned into my side, and I wrapped my arms around him. His muffled sobs created a wet spot on my sleeve, and he gripped onto my arms, shaking.

"I can't fail this— I can't lose you, M."

"I know, Draco, I know. You're not gonna lose me. Ever."

| |

Draco, Mum, and I silently walked through Knockturn Alley, into Borgin and Burkes. Apparently, there's something called the Vanishing Cabinet which'll bring the death eaters into Hogwarts.

No idea how it's supposed to work though.

Inside, Aunt Bellatrix was basically lecturing Greyback, along with other death eaters waiting. Greyback had escaped Azkaban; a quite terrifying man if you ask me.

"Finally. We've been waiting hours. Draco, Mira, come children."

Aunt Bellatrix stood behind Draco and I, her arm around our waists, bringing us towards the cabinet.

The cabinet was tall, shaped weirdly, with a fancy design leading to the top and bottom of the ends. The wood was a bit chipped, but who could guess this thing's been here since before we were born.

"It's sort of... old, so you'll need to fix it. Is that a problem for you, dears?" Bellatrix smirked, waving her wand around.

Draco and I looked at each other, then the cabinet. Can't be that hard to fix.

"Not at all."

Mum stood in front of us, kissed our cheeks, and I could've sworn I saw something outside the window, but Greyback had pulled the curtain, covering whatever was peaking through.