Proclamation After Proclamation

MIRA MALFOY

Blaise, Daphne, and I were sitting on the couch in the Slytherin common room. They sat aside as I wrote a letter to Mum. Every five seconds, I'd be paranoid of seeing words I've written down, carve into my hand.

"Mira..."

I hummed, looking back at Blaise. He was focused on something past me, then moving down and grabbing my hand.

"What happened here?"

The words on my hand from detention with Professor Umbridge were now slightly bruised, due to me prying to scratch it away.

"It's nothing."

"Mira, you didn't have this before you left for detention. This woman's torturing you."

"You've got to tell Dumbledore." Daphne spoke, agreeing with whatever Blaise had to say.

"No, it's fine, really. It's not a big deal. It was my punishment for saying something I shouldn't have. Besides, I don't want to give Professor Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Mirs, if the parents knew about this—"

"Like mine would care what happens to me." Blaise and Daphne awkwardly looked at each other. They stayed quiet, giving me the cue to leave.

"Mira—"

| |

As I walked towards the Great Hall, by the stairs I could see and hear Professor McGonagall and Professor Umbridge arguing.

"Pardon me, Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?"

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices."

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom... Minerva."

"Not at all... Dolores. Merely your medieval methods."

"I... I'm sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry, and by extension, the Minister himself. I am a tolerant woman, but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty."

Professor Umbridge turned to face everyone, who were now standing by the stairs, observing the conversation. "Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action."

| |

To top it all off, Professor Umbridge basically runs Hogwarts now. Proclamation after proclamation of useless meanings, nailed to the wall.

I noticed everyone making their way to the courtyard, speaking amongst themselves. As everyone stood around, watching, Mr. Filch set down Professor Trelawney's luggages whilst Professor Umbridge walked out the rattling doors.

"Six... sixteen years I've... I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home. You.. you can't do this."

"Actually, I can."

Professor McGonagall stepped up, hugging Professor Trelawney to comfort her as she cried. McGonagall was basically giving Umbridge the stink eye.

"Something you'd like to say, dear?"

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say. There, there... shh, shh."

The doors then rattled— everyone who was blocking the way, stepped aside, showing Dumbledore himself. He quickly made his way to the three professors.

"Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?" Professor Trelawney thanked Dumbledore, and McGonagall walked her back inside the castle.

"Dumbledore, may I remind you, that under the terms of Educational Decree Number 23, as enacted by the Minister—"

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to banish them from the grounds. That power remains with the headmaster."

"For now."

| |

Weird way to end the chapter... but hope you all enjoyed! <3

-ava