"This Thing Called Life"

Reader as Y/NChris Evans as Himself

Reader as Y/N
Chris Evans as Himself

You had spent the first four years of marriage trying to conceive and had started to accept that just maybe it was never going to happen

You had spent the first four years of marriage trying to conceive and had started to accept that just maybe it was never going to happen. Through it all, Chris did his best to help you remain optimistic, even if doubt was starting to creep into his thoughts. After four years, many methods, and numerous couples counseling sessions you two made a mutual decision to take a break from trying. Four months later you sat on your bathroom counter in complete shock staring at six positive pregnancy tests.

Chris had the same reaction when you had shown him the test later that night. It was almost as if you were scared to tell him. The plan had been to break the news during dinner, but neither of you anticipated the dozens of calls from both his publicist and manager. By the time things had finally wound down, it was time for bed. Knowing you wouldn't be able to sleep on it, the words tumbled out of your mouth as he was reaching to turn off his bedside lamp. With his back still facing toward you, he froze upon hearing the words, "Baby I'm pregnant." The silence lingered as your heart felt like it was going to pound out of your chest.

"Say something, please."
"W-what did you say? Did you just tell me you're pregnant? How do you know?"

You stumbled into the en suite and hurried back with the pile of positive pregnancy tests from earlier. Biting your lip and placing them on the bed next to Chris, he looked at them with a blank facial expression.

"You took all of these today, babe?" He asked, not taking his eyes off the test.
"Yes," you whispered.

Not being able to decipher whether he was happy or upset caused you to panic. Your emotions got the best of you and that's when Chris heard you sniffle. His head snapped up as your eyes connected.

"Honey, what's wrong, why are you crying?"

He thumbed your tears away, sliding them down to rub the apples of your cheeks. His eyes held your tearful gaze as he nervously waited for you to take a deep breath and answer.

"You just don't seem very happy about it. Do you not want this anymore?"
"No sweetheart, that's not it at all. I just had so many thoughts running through my head all at once and didn't know how to react."