Beasts Uncovered

"I'd learned to avoid mirrors. They never seemed to show me what I wanted to see."

I walked into the house, Jacob right behind me

I walked into the house, Jacob right behind me. I don't dare walk into the living room just yet. The room where it happened, I go upstairs to find clothes to change into. My room was a mess, my books thrown everywhere. I studied each of them looking for cut or torn pages.

"Everything alright in here?" Jacob asked leaning against the doorway. I don't find any book ruined, thank god.

"The books, I couldn't handle losing one of those." My bed sheets were shredded and things knocked on the floor. I realize I haven't moved from the floor yet, bringing my hand across each of the pages in a state of anguish. Large warm hands make theirs over top of mine, almost to stop me. I look up to Jacob, the concern plastered over his face so I look away.

"I'll go downstairs get started on the living room." I go change before heading down to join him. When I enter I find him cleaning up blood from the hardwood floor, I loved this house. I thought it was perfect for me. But knowing what happened here has stained this living room.

The couch is torn and picture frames on the floor, shattered. Scratch marks on the wall, I'd have to repaint.

As he cleans the blood I pick up the pictures and clean up the glass. Anything needing replaced would be done later.

"You think if I burned this entire living room down it would help anything?" I ask with a scoff. He looks at me shrugging his shoulders like he was really considering it.

"Couldn't hurt, I mean your grandparents probably would just build you another." I scoff at that statement, hitting him from where I'm at with a pillow.

I walk into the living room with my speaker, I put on some upbeat music. This causes a groan from Jacob, and then a disdained look to me.

I grin, "I do my best cleaning listening to music."

We go from room to room until we're finally done by 3 o clock that day. We both pass out on the couch, tired from the long day I guess. I feel a cover being thrown on me so I open my eyes hoping he's not leaving.

Next thing I know he's lifting my head to put on his lap, I don't ask him what I want to. I know he's just being a friend, something I'm not used to from him, but it makes me like him a lot more.

"Jacob you don't have to be here, with me, I know you have other things." I'm looking up at him.

He raises his head before looking down an me, "I'm here. So don't think I have better things right now." I nod closing my eyes as he plays with my hair. He's right here and I'm embracing that.

I wake up to find myself in my room, Jacob by my side. He doesn't touch me but he's here that draws me comfort. I look to the clock to see it's 3 in the morning, something's here.