xiv. cat, rat, and dog

▆▆ ·  ·  ·  · ♡ ୭ ̥◌ . 
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆ 
˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺  

  ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆  ˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺  

𝐕𝐎𝐋. 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ━ 𝖄𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝕭𝗲𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗶𝗳𝘂𝗹 °. ୭̥❁.*
━━ ❪ 𝙷𝙰𝚁𝚁𝚈 𝙿𝙾𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁 ❫ . ˚ ⚘ ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

     "HAGRID," HARRY WHISPERED. He made to turn back as Ron seized his arm.

     "We can't," Ron reminded, who was pale. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

     Hermione's breathing became shallow and uneven.

     "How — could — they?" She choked out. "How could they?"

    "Come on," Ron commanded, his teeth seemed to be chattering.

The trio set off back towards the castle, walking slowly to keep themselves hidden under the cloak. By the time they reached open ground, darkness was setting like a spell around them.

"Scabber, keep still," Ron whispered, clamping his hand over his chest as the rat wriggled madly. The redhead came to a sudden halt, attempting to force Scabbers deeper in his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here any minute —"

"He won't — stay — put —"

Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was writhing, trying to free himself of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

Hermione looked around and saw Crookshanks slinking towards them, his body low to the ground, wide yellow eyes glinting eerily in the dark. Whether he could see them or was following the scent or sound of Scabbers, it was impossible to tell.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But he didn't listen.

"Scabbers — no!"

It was too late — the rat had slipped out of Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away. In one bound, Crookshanks strand after him, and before Harry or Hermione could stop him, Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the dark.