xix. too much time

▆▆ ·  ·  ·  · ♡ ୭ ̥◌ .
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆
˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺

  ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆  ˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 " 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺

𝐕𝐎𝐋. 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ━ 𝖄𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝕭𝗲𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗶𝗳𝘂𝗹 °. ୭̥❁.*
━━ ❪ 𝙷𝙰𝚁𝚁𝚈 𝙿𝙾𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁 ❫ . ˚ ⚘  ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

BOTH ALENA AND HARRY WERE ABLE TO MAKE IT TO HAGRID'S HUT WITHOUT BEING SEEN. They hid behind a wide oak trunk, periodically peeking out from either side. Creeping through the trees, they saw the nervous Hippogriff tethered to the fence around Hagrid's pumpkin patch.

"Now?" Harry whispered.

"No," Alena answered. "If we steal him now, the Committee people will have thought Hagrid set him free! We have to wait until they've seen that he's tied down!"

"That's going to give us only sixty seconds," Harry concluded, this was starting to seem impossible.

At that moment, there was a crash of breaking china from inside Hagrid's cabin.

"That's Hagrid breaking the milk jug," Alena whispered. "'Mione should find Scabbers in a moment—"

Sure enough, a minute later, they heard Hermione's shriek of surprise.

"What if we—we just run in there," Harry asked suddenly. "and grab Pettigrew—"

"No!" Alena whispered. "Don't you understand? We're already breaking one of the most important wizarding laws; don't mess with time. You heard Dumbledore, if we're seen—"

"We'd only be seen by ourselves and Hagrid!"

"Harry, what do you think you'd do if you saw yourself bursting into Hagrid's house?"

"I'd—I'd think I'd gone mad," he answered. "or I'd think there was some sort of Dark Magic happening—"

"Right! You might even attack yourself. McGonagall told us what awful things happen to wizards who mess with time... loads of them end up killing their past self or future selves by accident."