lxiv. the birds, pt 1

▆▆ ·  ·  ·  · ♡ ୭ ̥◌ .
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆
˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒚-𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓" 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺

  ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆  ˚ · • ꗃ 𓈈 " chapter 𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒚-𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓" 𓂃 ! ⊹˚˖⁺

𝐕𝐎𝐋. 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ━ 𝕹𝗼𝘁 𝕬 𝕲𝗼𝗱'𝘀 𝕮𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗻 °. ୭̥❁.*
━━ ❪ 𝙷𝙰𝚁𝚁𝚈 𝙿𝙾𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁 ❫ . ˚
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

ALENA WOUND HER HAND TIGHTLY ONTO THE MANE OF THE NEAREST THESTRAL, PLACED A FOOT ON A STUMP NEARBY, AND SCRAMBLED ONTO THE HORSE'S SILKEN BACK. It did not object, but twisted its head around, fangs bared, and attempted to continue its eager licking of her robes.

She found there was a way of lodging her knees behind the wing joints that made her feel more secure, then looked around at the others. Harry had jumped quickly onto the Thestral's back and was holding onto its neck tightly. Neville had heaved himself over the back of the next Thestral and was now attempting to swing one short leg over the creature's back. Luna was already in place, sitting side-saddle and adjusting her robes as though she did this every day. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, however, were still standing motionless on the spot, open-mouthed and staring.

"What?" she said.

"How're we supposed to get on?" said Ron faintly. "When we can't see the things?"

"Oh, it's easy," said Luna, sliding obligingly from her Thestral and marching over to him, Hermione, and Ginny. "Come here ..."

She pulled them over to the other Thestrals standing around and one by one managed to help them on to the back of their mount. All three looked extremely nervous as she wound their hands into their horse's mane and told them to grip tightly before she got back on to her own steed.

"This is mad," Ron murmured, moving his free hand gingerly up and down his horse's neck. "Mad ... if I could just see it—"

"You'd better hope it stays invisible," said Harry darkly.

"We all ready?" Alena called from in front of Harry.