8

Athanasia knocked on the door. She hear a slightly flustered sounding come in. She pushed the door and gracefully walked in. Giving a curtisy, she said

"Blessings and glory to the sun of the obellian empire"

Claude wanted to tell her to leave such greeting and sit but decided against it. He thought that although he wanted his daughter's forgiveness, he cannot rush through things.

"Rise"

He gestured his hand towards the seat next to him as he called the maids to bring in the food.

He didn't know her preferred food choices so while she was asleep, he summoned her nanny Lilian York to ask about it. The maid had seemed very happy that he finally started to care for his daughter and enthusiastically spoke.

He who neglecting her for the past years, will admit that he was very curious to see what kind of person his daughter has grown up to be. He didn't have any knowledge on how to be a good father as his own had neglected him as well, but he vowed to do his best.

They began eating. There was a silence that streched. It was awkward but not uncomfortable. After they were done Claude shifted in his seat. He spoke up.

"Did you rest well?"

"Yes your majesty." She replied shortly.

Claude didn't have anything else to ask so he sat thinking.

"About what happened in the morning-"

"Your majesty, how do you feel?"

"What?"

"Have you had any headaches since then? Or when you saw me now?"

"No. I haven't had any since I woke up. You did well. Thank you."

"Your welcome." She gave a small smile.

She was thinking for a bit, and spoke up

"About our earlier discussion. I'll continue now."

"Hmm. Go ahead"

"The reason why Jennette margarita does not have the same blond hair is because she does not have any imperial blood running through her veins."

"What? But her eyes-"

"Her mother was lady Penelope, right?"

Claude had a disgust look on his face

"Ugh. Why are you mentioning that wench."

"Have you shared a bed with her? More specifically a few months before my mother became pregnant?"

"No! I have never!-"

"Then she is not your daughter. But how does she possess the jewelled eyes? You had already killed your brother years before that your majesty."

"Hmm."

"Now, his majesty erased my mother's memories with black magic right?"

"What does that have anything to do with this?"

"Keeping Jennette near you reduces your headaches, your majesty. That points to the involvement of only one thing."

"Black magic.... She dared to use black magic on me!" He banged the table.

"Not intentionally but yes."

"Why do you say that? If not intentionally then how? It's not possible"

"Unless she was a being created out of black magic? This is merely a speculation but if thought this way everything makes sence your majesty"

"Created? Explain."

"What if the former emperor, his majesty Anastacius de Alger obella had dabbled in black magic? And after his death, lady Penelope completed an experiment and gave birth to a child that has imperial MANA in her? Since the jewelled eyes are essentially a mana manifestation after all. But lady Penelope died during childbirth so no one knows who the father is and assumed it was you as the both of you had been betrothed? It also explains her brown hair"

Claude took some time processing all that information.

He mumbled to himself .

"That does make more sense... Then the Alphus house that has close relations with that wench raised her to have political power later on..."

"How did you think up this theory?"

"As your majesty is aware. I am a mage and I'd like to believe I'm a fairly powerful one too. I was able to sence black magic when i met Jennette for the first time a few years ago."

"You've met her before?"

"Yes" she said giving no further explanation.

She continued

"I had gotten curious as black magic is forbidden and researched her background."

"I see..."

She ignored his mumbling and continued

"That's all I have to say your majesty. With that our discussion is done"

"Hmm...."

She stood up and moved towards the door.

"Ask per our deal, I'll be leaving the palace soon your majesty. Farewell then." She said as she turned her back to him, moving to open the door.

"Wait"

She stopped and turned around

"Yes?"

"I didn't accept you leaving the palace."

She took a minute to process that information and very intelligently replied

"Huh?"