13

There was a ball. It was hosted by the imperial family so all the nobles have no choice but to come. They didn't know what the occasion was though. All they were told was to bring a gift you would give a ruler. Something useful.

So there they stood, all the nobles of the obellian empire with their husband/wife and children.

"Make way for her highness, Princess Jennette de algar obellia!"

Down walked the stairs, Jennette, wearing an extravagant blue dress.

She didn't know what this occasion was about

She didn't know what this occasion was about. All she was told was that there would be a ball held and to dress and behave well throughout the party. So she came in, wearing her brightest smile.

Because of her black magic, she draws everyone's attention towards her. Everyone's eyes follows her as she glides down the stairs.

But they snapped back to reality at the voice of the announcer.

"Make way for him majesty, Claude de algar obellia and her highness Princess Athanasia de algar obellia!"

There were murmurs all throughout the audience.

His majesty was escorting her highness down the stairs. Everyone stared at them but soon bowed before the emperor's glare.

As they reached the bottom, he said

"Rise"

They stood up straight and we're met with the sight of the breath-taking pair of royals.

(Claude was wearing an emperor's outfit that matches athanasia's. Also I love hilise!)

"Today, i will announce something important. I have chosen my daughter, Athanasia de algar obellia to be my heir."

Murmurs filled the ballroom. Everyone exchanged words. Duke Alpheus spoke up

"What do you mean your majesty?"

Duke Alpheus was someone who raised Jennette at his residence since she was a baby. He had wanted to use her to gain more power within the empire. So he was quite shocked to hear that the position of crown Princess had gone to the abandoned princess.

"I said what i said. Athanasia is my heir and will inherit the throne"

"But your majesty! Princess Jennette is the older one. It is her rightful place" he said desperately, for this cannot be true. It would ruin all of his plans!

"You've gotten quite bold Alpheus......"

"I apologise your majesty. But choosing your heir must be taken seriously! Princess Jennette is very smart!"

"Ho.... To go as far as accuse me of not taking this seriously. It seems i have been to lenient towards you."

Claude glared at him. That would normally be enough to make him tremble. But he and most of the others who had also opposed were forced on their knees with the intensity of the princess's glare.

"And what exactly, gives you the right to question my authority?" She asked.

It was a simple question. But one that when answered wrong, could have them charged with treason. Even if she was an abandoned princess, she was currently the crown Princess.

A deadly silence filled the ballroom. No one dared even breadth loudly.

Claude looked proud of Athanasia's power. He smirked as he stepped forward.

"My word is final. This is a ball to celebrate this fine occasion. Enjoy your evening"

After exchanging a few words to Athanasia, he turned to leave the ballroom as he heard someone call out to him.....

"Father!"