Chapter 14- In His Arms

Some people long for a life that is simple and planned
Tied with a ribbon
Some people won't sail the sea 'cause they're safer on land
To follow what's written
But I'd follow you to the great unknown
Off to a world we call our own
Hand in my hand
And we promise to never let go
We're walking a tightrope
- Tightrope • Michelle Williams

𝙳𝙰𝚈 𝟾
𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝟸𝟿𝚝𝚑 𝙽𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛

It was some sort of cruel joke. It had to be. They must've found out somehow and wanted to make the experience more unbearable than it already felt.

     Henry was alone.

     She was the first one to be let back into the desolate camp, and everything felt wrong. In a place usually thriving with activity and life, only memories remained as she waited. God, she hated it. There was nothing to do but think. Thinking was dangerous, it always had been, but now more than usual.

     Time kept ticking, and she kept waiting. Waiting for anything. Anyone. Craving the companionship of another.

     Instead, Henry was sat around an un-burning fire. Why was she first? Why her? Anyone else would do. She could go second, and hug, and hold hands with another. Any other. Any time. Henry just wanted to be around her friends again.

     The amount of time that passed seemed to be indeterminable. All Henry really knew was that it had been too long. Only when she heard a creaking did she realise she wouldn't be alone any longer.

  "Hello?" Henry peaked her head around the stone corner, swiftly, to see the face she missed most. A ginger shock of hair, pale face, green eyes- and a newly shaven face. "Oh God!"

     Without another thought, she ran forwards. Matty had grinned upon sight, and braced himself for the impending impact. Henry ran, wrapping her legs around his waist, hands firmly on his face. Their lips met in a fiery passion that could only show their longing for one another. Every second alone in that cottage had only proven to Henry how much the diver truly meant to her.

     "What did I do to deserve that?" Matty chuckled softly as the actresses head buried into his shoulder. She breathed him in, enjoying the smell, the familiarity. It was everything she needed.

   "I thought this was hell, and only upon my return did I realise heaven is wherever you are." The words fell smoothly from her lips, like a song, their cheeks touching.

  "Shakespeare?"

  "No, that ones mine." Admitted Henry, bashfully.

  "I missed you." Matty told her, their foreheads pressed together. However, how much he had enjoyed their position, his legs began to ache, so put down the girl and kept her beside him.

  Henry sighed. "You'll never understand how much I need you."

  "I need you too." He promised, quietly.

  "You do?"

  "Yeah, like crazy." A part of her bad never expected Matty to have missed her. For some reason, the thought hadn't crossed her mind.

     As gently as movement allowed, the diver placed a delicate kiss onto Henry's forehead. His lips lingered longer than they should have, but neither minded: not really.

  "Promise me..." trailed Henry as their lips were once again only millimetres away from the others.

  "Promise what?" He was confused, but the words never levelled louder than a murmur.