.38.

Chris POV

   "Seriously? Captain approved it?" I ask.

   Spencer nods his head in affirmation.

I lean further up in my seat, trying to grasp whether or not he's being serious. "Don't play with me, man."

   Spencer holds his hands up in submission. "I'm not joking. We just can't go out into town."

   I run my hands over my face, revealing a smile by the time my  hands reach my beard. "Yes!"  Both of us meet in the middle across the table in a loud high five.  "You first or me?"

  "How about at the same time?" Spencer offers as he stands from his seat, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "I'll step into the hall, give you the room."

   I watch him walk out as I sit up straighter in my seat, my heart beating just about as fast as the first time I asked Opal for her phone number back at Decker's two months ago.  I straighten the cap on my head a bit more before finally taking a deep breath and pressing her contact information on my phone.

   I sit and watch the screen, which at this moment is just my face, until I see her answer the call. It's pitch black until she flips a lamp on and  a sleepy Opal's face comes into view. "Chris?" she asks, her voice groggy.

   "Maybe a midnight call wasn't my brightest idea, babe. I'm sorry for waking you up," I admit. I honestly hadn't even paid attention to the time, just too ecstatic by the news Spencer had told me to keep it to myself for even a few hours.

   "No, it's fine," she says with a yawn. "As long as you don't mind my bedhead, my pajamas or the fact that I'm gonna stay snuggled up under these covers while we talk."

   "I definitely don't have a problem with that, except for one part of it."

   Opal raises her eyebrows. "What's that?"

  "I wish I was snuggled up with you."

   "Can I tell you a secret?" she whispers as though she's trying to keep quiet even though she's home alone.

   "Definitely," I reply.

   "I wish you were too," she admits with a small smile. "I didn't think I'd miss you this much since I've not been around you a lot."

   "Well," I start, "about that. What are you doing December 10-13? Or any time soon?"

   I can see she's trying to think off the top of her head if there's in fact anything going on during that time. "I'm not sure. Magnolia is pretty booked due to the holiday season. Other than that I don't think I have anything going on. Why?"

  "Come here."

   "What?" she exclaims, sitting up in bed now, surprised. I notice the cute pajamas covered in pink and purple hearts.

   "Come to Atlanta," I say again.

   "I thought that you were undercover? Is it over?"

   "As long as you don't mind hanging out with me in my apartment and me not going anywhere with you, then you're welcome to come. And I really hope you want to come." I find myself practically pleading with her even though by her reaction I'm pretty sure it's wasted effort.

   "Oh my gosh!" Opal exclaims now jumping out of bed. She's completely giddy over the thought of visiting me, and I couldn't be happier with the reception I'm receiving.

   "Ope?" She's continuing to jump up and down. "Opal?" I try to get her attention back to me.

   "What?" she stops jumping around long enough to hear me.