Ch. 44: Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Gordon/Scout)

Gordon

When Kendra rested her head on my chest, it brought me back memories from that night at the prom. I visioned that very dance that night, which indicated that she wanted me. That night, we also made love for the first time. It was only the first of a few times before we broke up, but it was still a special night.

Now, her head on my chest was giving me glimpses to that night. I didn't like that feeling because of where we were in our lives. When the song ended, I immediately darted for the bathroom to calm my nerves. I put water on my face to relax and freshen myself. I couldn't believe this was happening to me. No way was I thinking of Kendra right then and there.

I was taking a few deep breaths and was trying to focus when the door opened and in walked Scout.

Scout

I had seen Gordon take off for the bathroom and decided to talk to him. When I got there, he was trying to relax and calm down as if he was stressed out.

"You okay?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he replied. "Just got a little tense in there."

"All because of one dance?"

"Well, just some flashbacks to everything that happened that night in the prom. I don't want anything to transpire when she's seeing Rick."

I nodded, but decided to ask the question that was on my mind. "You didn't accept the date with Brett to make Kendra jealous, did you?"

"Certainly not," Gordon replied with a shocked face. "Brett only asked me because I had nothing else to do. I thought she made that clear."

"Well I just wanted to check because it seems to me you're still in shock over the dance you had with Kendra. I thought you were over her."

"I thought I was, but that dance brought me memories from that night. I was in love with her from when I saw her. But after everything that happened in college, my feelings for her are no longer there."

"Are you sure? Because she seemed to be feeling something for you. I kept glancing at her and I could see it. She doesn't seem to be happy over dating Rick."

"How would you know?"

"Because it was the feeling I had when Theresa was interested in me. I maybe just a man, but I know a thing or two about women and there likes and dislikes."

"Does that include Brett?"

Damn! Gordon struck a nerve with me right there. "Brett is a colleague and a friend. That's all there is too it," I say.

"Now from what I saw. You two were getting closer and she had her head on your shoulder. When the song changed, instead of switching partners, you two kept dancing. I didn't see that with Theresa and you're supposed to be dating her."

Again, Gordon with a clutch touchdown pass on the point. It was true that Theresa and I didn't dance when the song changed nor did she have her head on my shoulder when we danced. But Brett was the one that wanted to keep dancing, not me. Why was I getting blamed for that?

"Gordon, Brett's just my friend. She asked me to keep dancing and Theresa was..." I then realized that Theresa was still dancing with Rick then. I wonder if she suspected anything suspicious between us. "No big deal."

"Uh-huh! Don't give me that. If you had it your way under these conditions, you would've let Theresa dance with you. Instead, you gave in to Brett's idea to keep dancing, which tells me either a) she's your boss and you have to listen to her or b) you're not even attracted to Theresa and instead you want Brett."