Ch. 1: Friday Night in the Lights (Gordon)

The scoreboard read the same situation I had seen a million times before. Two minutes to go in the fourth quarter and we were behind. This time, the score was 21-17 and there was 2:13 to play. I check to see how far we are on the field. The scoreboard shows that we're at the 26-yard line. A football field is a 100-yards. So 100-26 has to equal 74 yards. Not the most ideal situation, but for me and my teammates, this was the perfect thing.

I count myself and ten other people in the huddle all wearing red with white helmets and white pants. I see four white faces, four black faces, two hispanic faces, and one Asian face in the huddle. For a football team like ours, we took diversity to heart. I stared into the eyes of my offensive teammates to see how they were feeling. At the beginning of the season, the eyes told me several different thoughts that needed to be fixed for us to achieve our goals. On this night, the eyes of every player in the huddle told me the same thing: We were going to win the game.

I was glad to know this because of all the games we had to win, this was the most important game of all. This wasn't just a regular Friday night game. This was for the state championship. This wasn't just a state championship on a high school. This was the state championship that was played on the field of the one team I grew up watching all my life. The team with the bright blue star on their helmets, the cheerleaders who wore blue and white, five Super Bowls, and a reputation of being America's Team.

I was only just a senior in my high school years, but my plans were to be playing with the blue star team. I just had to make a big impression on them and this was round one. The crowd was so overwhelming and excited. Whatever money or travel plans they had to be at this game was well worth it. They were seeing an instant classic.

My team, the Allen Eagles, were locked in a dogfight with the Austin Westlake Chaparals. All season long, we were the top two teams in the state and were also ranked in the top five in the country. We led the entire state and nation in scoring and defense. There were no other challengers as both of us were undefeated. Our closest game was about a 17-point win. My fault because I got us down 10-3 at the half before rallying back for a 27-10 win. Westlake had a 13-point win against their top rival.

Both teams blazed through the playoffs and into the championship game. This game was to be broadcast nationally for a few reasons. It was the top two teams in the nation and there were going to be a lot of recruits making decisions on where to play their college ball. I had yet to make my choice on where to play. But, I knew there would be scouts watching. I wanted to put on a show and play for a school to continue my dreams to make the NFL.

My name is Gordon Henry and on that very Friday night, I was standing in the huddle with my teammates about to make my last drive in my high school career. I hated the feeling of never being able to put on a uniform again after this game. But, I was determined to end my career on the right note. When I looked into the eyes of my teammates, nothing more was said other than six words.

"Okay boys, let's go fucking win"

With that, I called the first play. 29 Hammer Right. This was a running play for our running back Marquis Lewis, who would be joining Florida State University for his college career. We clapped as we broke the huddle. The drive was about to start. Seventy-four yards between us and the end zone. I get to the line of scrimmage and I bark signals.

"Red 29. Red 29. Hut, Hike," I said as the center gave me the ball. I then turn to hand Marquis the ball and he immediately broke to his left. There was a hole formed by our left end John Skeeter and Ryan Willis. The two men had committed to play football together at Oklahoma State and they made their college proud with the blocking, which allowed Marquis to rush for a first down and be tackled at the 39.