Ch. 70: Aftermath (Gordon/Kendra)

Kendra

The days immediately following our Super Bowl triumph were just as crazy as the journey to get to that point. To start things off on the negative side, word had leaked out about Luke's involvement in the Cowboys' bounty scandal as well as Brett calling off the engagement. This was a huge disappointment to everyone of the fans who either rooted for the Cowboys or shipped Luke and Brett.

Needless to say, things would get even worse for Luke. He confessed to his role and was severely blamed for this. A more thorough investigation revealed that there were other violations Luke committed including tax fraud, forgery, and even betting on games himself. Add in the picture of him with the younger woman, who was revealed to have been an ex-Cowboys cheerleader, and the story took a completely twisted turn.

After months of the investigation, the NFL released their findings and announced their sanctions. This system had been going on for a few seasons including the championship year and it was a horrific sight for the fans. The Cowboys would be heavily fined for their role, a number of players involved would be suspended, and the executives who orchestrated this, including Luke, were given a lifetime ban from the league. A number of lawsuits would follow with results ranging from settlements and dismissals.

Luke was also arrested and placed in jail for fifteen years. Brett had to testify in a court to which she described Luke as one who was not willing to accept no in offering her a position with the Cowboys. It was hard seeing Brett on the jury stand on TV because she was supposed to be celebrating two things: a Super Bowl title and her new relationship with Scout.

While I did feel bad for all the Cowboy fans who felt cheated by the fact that the current players had disrespected their historic franchise, I could only smile knowing that our team had overcome the odds and found a way to overcome that obstacle. I was also glad to know that Gordon's surgery was a successful one and that he would continue his career.

But now, on to the positives. The city of Houston had a joyous time with the parade to celebrate our champions. I got the opportunity to ride on top of a firetruck along with Gordon, who was still in his sling. I had to make sure he didn't fall off the top of the firetruck as we waved to the fans who supported us all throughout the season.

We then followed up with a ceremony at our stadium where thousands of fans got to cheer us. All the players on stage got to be recognized and some of them got to speak to the fans. The highlight of the ceremony was when Troy Paulson actually proposed to his girlfriend Bethany and she accepted on stage. This despite the fact that he was in a knee brace when it was revealed he had a knee sprain. I was very happy for them and knew they would make a great husband and wife.

Gordon was soon given the chance to speak to the crowd, who gave him a thunderous ovation. I knew he was nervous because he was now the face of the franchise and it was something he never talked about when we were growing up. Sure, he wanted to be a star, but not the icon like he was becoming. I quickly prayed that Gordon would give a great speech to the crowd.

Gordon

I didn't make it a long speech. I just told the fans how much I appreciate their support through all this time and how much I gave everything to bring a championship to the city even if it meant throwing my arm out. I also gave them confirmation that my career wasn't over and I had planned on being back to repeat as Super Bowl champions, which definitely got the fans fired up.

After that, life changed for me completely. I started to get endorsement deals, appeared on talk shows, went to Disney World, and before long, received a new contract. It wasn't a mega 10-year deal worth over a hundred million like you see nowadays. But, I didn't care. I was just happy to know that I would be back in an NFL uniform next season.