Ghost Of You

Ashton

"Here I am waking up, still can't sleep on your side"

It wasn't anyone's fault really. Some things were built to just fall apart. Sadly, that's what had become with Ashton and your relationship. While it had just been the fact you two just grew apart, that didn't make the situation any easier.

Waking up, your hand still wanders over to his side of the bed, only to be faced with cold, empty sheets. That feeling brought such heavy emotions that clouded your heart, making it hard to breathe. It had been almost a month now, but the events from the past played in your mind like it was just yesterday.

You both were just sitting on the couch on opposite ends, not even being able to make eye contact. While no one said a word, it was clear you both were on the same page. It just wasn't going to work out anymore. You both were just so different now. Growing up and growing apart.

But now, laying in this cold empty bed, the sight of the empty side next to you only devastated you more. Maybe you both got it wrong? What if you could work past it? Would he still be here now?

So many questions circled your mind, yet you couldn't seem to come up with a solution. Deep down you knew, there was absolutely nothing you could do to fix the situation between Ashton and you.

You kept telling yourself this shouldn't hurt you as much as it does, but it didn't seem to help. What hurt more than the two of you breaking up was the fact you also lost your best friend. You knew that even if there was a possibility of the two of you being friends in the future was slim. It just wouldn't be the same, and that's what hurt the most.

You both were just in two different stages of your life and there was nothing wrong with that. You knew staying together would hurt you both more in the long run than benefit you both. Yet you couldn't get past one thing. Why did it hurt so much to know that his warm soul would no longer be the first thing you'd see in the morning. To roll over and see him sound asleep. You would give anything to live those memories once more.

Calum

"We're too young, too dumb, to know things like love"

You thought you knew it all. That you had everything right. Screw what everyone else said, because you believed that Calum and you were going to last forever. They called you naïve for giving your heart up so easily, but it just felt right, and what did they know?

Apparently, they knew enough, because here you were standing face to face with Calum, screaming at each other. Not long ago, you thought you both were in love. Maybe you moved too fast and didn't think things through fully, but it just felt right.

It wasn't long till that once perfect fantasy you had created in your head shattered right before your eyes. It was stupid to think you were so sure Calum was the one when you weren't even sure about who you were as a person.

"I can't do this anymore, you're driving me insane!"

"All I asked is why you came back so late tonight, do I not deserve to know?"

"You don't trust me! I shouldn't have to tell you where I am at all times. You should just be able to trust me!"

"You haven't given me a reason too! You don't answer my texts, you don't tell me when you'll be out late. I don't have one good reason to trust you!"

"You shouldn't need a reason, you should just love me enough to trust me!"

"You know what Calum, you're right. I should, but I don't. So you know what, let's just end this." Your words cause an uneasy silence to pierce the room. Calum seemed taken back from what you just said, but you didn't regret it.