Chapter 15: This side of him

3rd POV

"What are you doing here?" Ayla asked, looking fixedly at Jungkook who fixed the strap of his duffle bag on his broad shoulder.

"Ayla! What are you doing?!" Hoseok shouted and came out from behind the tree, instantly recognizing Jungkook's unexpected appearance. "Jungkook? What are you doing here?"

Jungkook eyed his two co-workers before fixating his gaze on Ayla. "Shouldn't I ask the same thing? What are you two doing here–"

"I asked first." Ayla interrupted.

"I'm on my way home from the coast."

"The coast?" Hoseok asked with his brows raised. Jungkook nodded at him.

"What were you doing there?" Ayla asked.

"Am I obligated to answer that?"

Ayla scoffed and rolled her eyes. Finding Jungkook's retort irritating.

"Did you leave early just so you could go to the coast?"

"No. There was an emergency from a close friend of mine." Jungkook lied smoothly as he calmly answered their interrogation.

Silence enveloped the three as the two didn't know what to ask more. Ayla still had many questions and suspicions she wanted to ask but decided against it.

"What are you two doing here?" Jungkook asked.

"Investigating," Ayla answered shortly, watching Jungkook intently.

Jungkook already knew the moment he saw Hoseok and Ayla on the same spot he almost killed Khalisee. He just didn't expect them to personally check out the site where it happened. He didn't dare ask any more questions and just nodded at the two, continuing on his way home.

"You're not gonna ask why?" Hoseok asked, halting Jungkook on his steps. He can feel the back of his head burning from Ayla's intense gaze. He turned to them before shaking his head.

"Your business is not my business so I won't ask." He said before turning his back. Hoseok was about to say something when Ayla stopped him.

"Don't. It's better if he doesn't know."

"But why? He cares for Khali as much as we do."

"Exactly."

"So?"

"You've seen how it affected us. He doesn't need to feel the same way."

"Yeah, but he'd be mad if we kept it a secret from him. And it's not like Khalisee won't tell him. They're closer than they look."

"Hoseok." Ayla stopped him. "You think Issy would even dare remember it? She's traumatized by it and she doesn't even want to get out of bed!"

"Easy." Hoseok tried to calm her but she just cussed and headed back to the town. Leaving him to follow behind.

Jungkook heard their whole conversation and couldn't help but tear up when he heard about Khalisee's state. He swears! He tried his hardest to control himself but it wasn't enough.

He wasn't strong enough. He's aware that something like this could happen, the probability of hurting and killing the people in this town is more than being able to blend and live peacefully with them.

Ayla went straight to her bedroom when they reached the cafe. Throwing the dirty white zip tie on her bed along with her sweater.

"Dammit!" She grunted, walking back and forth in the small space of her room. Hand under her chin as she deliberates about the kidnapper.