Stay Alive

Benjamin took the infant from his wife's arms and smiled at his son with the biggest smile ever. Soon afterwards, his parents were let into the room. Benjamin didn't actually notice them right away. He was fixated on his son. Saoirse jabbed her index finger into his shoulder to get his attention. Benjamin smiled up at his parents. He carried their grandson over to them and invited them to hold him.

His mother took the baby from him, and his father gave Benjamin a loving smile.

"Can I talk to you, Ben?" his dad asked. Benjamin nodded and his dad looked to his mom, "Tina. Stay with Saoirse for a moment please. We won't be long."

She nodded and sat down next to Benjamin's wife. Benjamin left with his dad, and they walked down the hall of St. Mungo's.

"You never fail to make me proud, Ben. I want you to know that."

Benjamin smiled awkwardly and looked at his dad, "I had a lot of good role models."

Newt smiled and wrapped his son in a hug. Benjamin rested his head upon his dad's shoulder, and he smiled. He was lucky. He hit the jackpot with parents. His eyes went wide when he saw someone at the end of the hall pointing their wand at them. Benjamin just knew they were aiming at his dad. The wizard cast a spell and Benjamin turned on the spot just in time.

The spell hit him in the back and his knees buckled. Newt caught his son as he went down to the floor. Newt looked up and something glinted in his eye. He drew his wand and fired at the person at the end of the hall. It hit the back of the wizard's knee and they limped away. Newt turned back to his son. He dropped down next to him.

"Ben." Newt said, taking his son's neck in his hand, elevating his head.

"Dad..." Benjamin took a big inhale of breath and choked a little. Newt blinked tears out of his eyes.

"Don't worry, Ben. You're going to be fine."

Doctors started approaching them with temporary bandages to block the bleeding. Benjamin grasped weakly at the cuff of his dad's sleeve. Newt felt his heart drop as he watched the light in his son's eyes go out.

"No. No. Benjamin Scamander. You stay. You're okay." he collapsed into his son's chest, "Stay."