Chapter 13

"It's a bit cold outside for you to be wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts, isn't it?" he said. Allie just looked at him with a blank expression.

"Listen, as much as I appreciate the nice gesture I don't need to listen to you talking about how great you are and stuff like that." Allie said rubbing her eyes; he went to put her arm around her shoulder, but she scooted away. "Personal space Stansson." he put his hands up in defense.

"So, why are you out here in the cold, with your suitcase?" Stansson asked really confused.

"Not that it was any of your business, but I got fired." Allie replied letting out a deep sigh.

"Your boyfriend didn't let you stay with him?"

"Not that that's also any of your business, but he's not my boyfriend anymore." Allie told him trying to not tear up.

"I'm sorry." Stansson said.

"No, you're not." Allie said not buying it.

"Yeah, you're right, I'm not." Stansson said. "So, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know." Allie replied, honestly. "Probably find somewhere to stay tonight then try to get a ticket back to Minnesota. Why are you being so nice?"

"I can't be nice to an old friend?"

"We were never friends." Allie told him shaking her head.

"Since when?" Stansson asked crossing his arms.

"Since we met at the international hockey tournament all those years ago, oh, and when you injured me because I rejected you." Allie responded giving him a sarcastic smile. "Anyway, do you need anything, or can I go?"

"Well, I've been thinking since we started talking." Stansson started. "If you work with us, I'll give you a place to stay." Allie just looked at him; the offer was tempting. It would be easier than spending a lot of money on a crappy hotel. It would feel nice to get back at Gordon, but Allie was not that petty; also, she would be betraying the kids, and they didn't do anything.

"I don't know Stansson." Allie said.

"Come on, the free hotel room?" he said. Allie thought it over, she was super tired, and cold. All she wanted was a bed and a warm room. Allie was going to have to make a decision.

"If, if I take up this offer, what would I be doing?"

"Assistant coaching, and I mean actually coaching." Stansson responded. "Not sitting back doing nothing, and watching Bombay get all the praises for your plays, strategies-" Allie began to open her mouth to defend Gordon; just because she was mad at him didn't mean she didn't love him and wanted people to talk bad about him. "And don't even deny it."

Allie closed her mouth and let out a deep sigh. She didn't want to make the wrong choice. She then had this lightbulb go off in her head.

"Fine." Allie said extending her hand out. "I'll help you as long as you provide a place to stay."

"Deal." Stansson replied shaking her hand. He then lead her to his car to bring her to the place the adults were staying at. Allie hoped her plan would work out in the end. Even though it doesn't seem like it now, this would hopefully benefit the USA team.