Chapter Twenty-Nine - Meeting With Snape

"Eight am classes should only be optional ones," Peter grumbled on Monday morning, staring miserably at the sausage on his plate.

"You get up earlier than that to take photos," James pointed out, far too cheerfully.

Peter scowled. "That's different. That's—that's by choice."

Sirius tilted his head, giving Pete a slight smirk. "Don't you say something like this every Monday?"

"Mmm, probably. Still stands."

Early owl post came at that moment, and all four Marauders received something. Godric dropped a large package in front of James before strutting around looking proud of himself. Cocoa had a rather thick envelope for Peter that he had some trouble carrying. The school owl Remus had sent to his parents was back with a small package. And finally Filibuster practically threw an envelope at Sirius, tried to bite Godric, stole all the bacon off of Sirius's plate, and then took off with bits of bacon falling all over.

Biscuits! Remus thought happily after opening up the package, ignoring James and Sirius arguing about Fili's attempted attack on Godric. Twelve lovely chocolate biscuits that smelled delicious. Carefully he split them up. Two he slid to Sirius next to him, two across the table to Peter, and two to James. Then two more were wrapped up to give to Lily later. Then, after a thought, he wrapped up two more to give to Aegis. Aegis deserved some too.

"You need to keep some for yourself!" James protested, seeing Remus only had two left.

"I don't mind sharing," he said, tucking the remaining two back in the plastic container. Sirius tried pushing his back and Remus shook his head. "I want to share, please. Please," he added when Sirius frowned. "Or I'll give my last two to someone else."

Sirius rolled his eyes and accepted the treats. Remus was about to look for Lily when she appeared as if she knew. Before he could offer her the biscuits, she began speaking.

"Remus, you're not going to the concert, right?" she asked and he shook his head. "What about the rest of you?" She cast hopeful looks at the other boys. "Are any of your parents chaperoning?"

"Mine would never," snorted Sirius.

"Mum won't do it," Peter said rather dolefully. "She doesn't approve of the Hufflepuffskeins. Says their clothes are too revealing and that they're 'bad' girls."

Lily looked at James. "And you? Surely you'd be going."

"Sorry, Red, my parents will be out of the country that week," James said, probably taking pleasure in the downcast expression that filled her face.

"Oh. Er. Well, um, okay, yeah, thank you," she sighed, pushing some hair back. "Thank you," she added when Remus gave her the biscuits.

"Maybe you'll find someone else who can take you?" Peter asked.

She gave a shrug, twisting the napkin-wrapped biscuits around in her hands. "I dunno. I've been asking around and it doesn't seem like many third years are going. The only ones who are as far as I've found is Bones, and he said he's already taking Rivers and he's not sure if his father will want a third kid to watch but he's going to ask. Then I think McCormack is taking some friends but I don't know her that well, it'd be awkward to ask."

Remus felt bad for Lily, knowing how much she wanted to go. He wished he could help but even if he asked his father to chaperone and even if Lyall said yes, he could never bring a friend. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right." She gave him a smile. "Maybe there will be another concert I can go to. After all they performed last October too. See you later! Oh! Remus!" She spun around, nearly tripping over her own feet. "I was thinking perhaps we could meet up later, to start working on our Runes project?"