Chapter Thirty-Eight - A Sacred Guide

Chapter Thirty-Eight – A Sacred Guide

Author's note: CW for internalized homophobia and accidental self harm (scratching)

ALSO!! I've been wanting to announce this for a while and I think now is a good time. There is a wiki for Shifting Lines! shifting-lines dot fandom dot com!

Several readers have put a lot of work into this and it's really awesome. Thank you guys!!!

-x-

Gryffindor's Quidditch practice on Sunday morning went... wild. It was a cold, drizzly morning, and Remus regretted telling James he'd be there. James was very insistent on all his friends being there on specifically that day for some reason, and Remus promised. That was before the Marauders had stayed up till one in the morning playing Wild Adventures in the common room and getting really hyper on sugary treats, and before Remus also stayed up until three to finish as much homework as possible.

Now it was ten till seven, and Remus practically slept as he trudged across the muddy grounds to the Quidditch pitch. James was bouncing ahead of them, full of energy as always. He seemed extra bouncy today, which was explained when they went into the pitch to find Mr. Potter there.

"Dad!" James said happily, running over to hug his father.

"Hallo Jimmy," Mr. Potter said, hugging his son tightly. "Peter, it's good to see you again!" Mr. Potter pulled Peter into a hug before turning towards James's two friends who had been unable to visit. "Sirius, it's good to see you too," he said, offering his hand. "And Remus, I'm glad to properly meet you." He shook Remus's hand.

"Are we allowed in the loop of what's going on now?" Bell asked from where she and the rest of the team stood. "Or do we have to wait till Charmer gets here?"

"Best wait till everyone's here," James said smugly.

Cassandra, as a reserve, was there too, shooting dirty looks at Sirius who pointedly ignored her as he, Peter, and Remus went over to sit on some low bleachers. Remus tried to set up an umbrella spell, but he wasn't really good at it yet and they still got quite damp.

Charmer showed up at two till seven, and Mr. Potter revealed the reason for him being there, which was to donate seven brand new brooms. All of them were MoonGlides, extremely expensive, fancy, and new brooms that had been released only half a year before. James had had one (a custom-made one) since December, though.

The entire team except for Kirke all gasped and oohed and awed as Mr. Potter handed out the carrying cases.

"M-me too?" Cassie asked when one was placed in her hands.

"You're a member of the team, aren't you?" Mr. Potter asked with a big smile.

"Only a reserve," she squeaked out.

"Then you too. It's your broom."

"Are they ours to keep?" Kirke asked loudly. "Or the teams?"

Mr. Potter turned his smile to the bratty Chaser. "What do you mean?"

"I mean Faircauldron graduates at the end of the year." Kirke motioned towards the Keeper. "He'll have to give the broom up when he does, yeah?"

Aside from Sirius's quiet disgusted scoff, nobody made any noise for several seconds. Anemoi Faircauldron was glaring daggers at Kirke for using him as a scapegoat.

"They are yours," Mr. Potter said slowly, carefully. "Yours to keep. Brooms do best belonging to someone."

"Thank you again, sir, this is incredible and so generous," Bell said but then she was interrupted by Kirke.