Chapter One Hundred-Twenty-Three - Much Ado About Dating

Sirius and Peter were almost finished with their detention duty. James still had a couple of nights, and Remus had seven left since he had only served one detention so far. Or at least, Sirius was almost done with the eight nights given for sneaking into Hogsmeade. He had more nights, due to trouble he and James caused, and they caused more on Wednesday night by making giant scarlet and gold flowers sprout across all the tables in the Great Hall. The flowers knocked over glasses and dishes, and smelled absolutely revolting. Remus pinched his nose shut. Though at least when McGonagall questioned the two boys, they claimed to have found the spell themselves.

"How do they still not know it's you?" James asked after the four left the Great Hall. James had Quidditch practice, while Sirius and Peter needed to go to detention. Remus was glad he had the night off, still tired and achy from the full moon as well as a little nauseated from the flowers.

"I personally consider it flattery," Sirius remarked, fluffing his hair out. "They think we're smart enough to come up with this all on our own. Oh. Landers, hi."

Evelyn Landers of Hufflepuff had come over, arms wrapped around her middle and eyes wide with what seemed to be fear or nerves or something. She licked her lips, glancing at the other Marauders before looking back at Sirius. "Did you get in much trouble for those flowers?"

"A little."

"Are we still on for Friday?"

Sirius leaned back against the wall, looking very cool. "Yes, of course. Even if I have detention that night, I'll skip it."

Landers blushed slightly. "All right. Erm. Bye, then." She turned and ran off, giggling.

James folded his arms and gave Sirius a look. "What's this about Friday?"

Sirius shrugged. "A date."

"You didn't tell us!" Peter snickered, punching Sirius's arm.

Sirius smiled, rubbing the spot. "It isn't anything fancy, we're just... I dunno, going to take a walk or something. If it goes well we're going to go on a real date next Saturday, in Hogsmeade."

"Landers is cute," Peter said approvingly.

"I wouldn't have thought she's your type," James remarked.

Sirius looked slightly offended. "And how would you know what my type is?"

"I don't know, she seems completely opposite of Cassie."

"I have a lot of types," Sirius said, eyes narrowing. "Plus opposite of... Inkwood... is probably a good idea." He began examining the ends of some of his hair. "I can go on walks with whomever I please."

James suddenly grinned and began elbowing Sirius. "I'm sure you please her very much."

Sirius snorted and gave James a shove who shoved back and soon the two were rolling on the ground until James declared himself the loser, since he really did need to get to Quidditch practice. He scrambled to his feet, asked Remus if he was going to the practice (no) and then took off. The three remaining headed off, Peter asking Sirius loads of questions about Landers like how they even decided to go on a walk together and when. Then Sirius had to split off to go to the library.

"I wish I could get a date," Pete said glumly. "It's not fair."

"With Pomfrey or someone else?" Remus asked, speaking up for the first time since Landers showed up. He was trying not to feel uncomfortable. It was difficult.

Pete's ears went red. "No! Well. If she asked me. But even though she and I could end up married one day—"

"Oh my God."