Red and Blue

"If you think about it, All Might is a simple but effective hero name."

"Go on."

"So, All Might. Basically saying he has All the Might, so he's essentially saying he's the strongest."

"Ok, so I know All Might is your favorite hero, but that was a stretch."

"Oh, and Psy-Emerald is a better name?"

"Um, yeah?"

"*gasp* I'm hurt. I don't think I can call you my sister anymore."

"You think you could come up with the coolest hero name, don't you?"

"Of course I could."

"I'm willing to bet cash money, that when you pick a hero name, it'll be as uninspired as 'Eraser Head.'"

"You're on!"

***

'Spider-Man, huh? That went about as well as it could've.'

Izuku watched from the rooftops as the police took Ochaco's statement and arrested the two criminals, who, as they'd said, were wanted men on the run. When the commotion died down, he went back to the rubble that was the F.E.A.S.T. shelter. He looked around sadly. He made his way to one of the medic rooms that was relatively untouched by the fire and flames and got out a first aid kit. He began to treat his wounds. The cut in his leg was the worst. When he was done, he laid down on a cot and went to sleep.

The next morning, Izuku went through his bag. Spandex and cash. He remembered that he wanted to make hero costumes with his sister. He'd missed the U.A. entrance exam. He sat down on an empty cot. He pulled out the two colors he'd gotten for his sister.

Red and blue.

Tears formed in his eyes. Blinking them away, he set to work. Armed with only a needle and thread he fashioned a full body suit. A shirt, pants, gloves, boots and a mask. The lenses in the mask were made with a white mesh and tough plastic. He could see out, but no-one could see in.

'Spider-Man. Wish I came up with something better. Might as well lean into it.'

He used the black fabric to make a spider emblem on the front and back, and inlay continuous lines throughout the costume, emulating a spider's web. He slipped on the outfit.

'This could work,' he thought, admiring his handiwork. He put on his backpack and left the burnt husk of a building.

He thwipped a web into the air, it latched on to a wall.

He took a deep breath and he pulled himself into the air. He let go and shot another line. He eventually settled into a nice pattern.

Thwip and release. Thwip and release.

'Swinging feels natural,' he thought. This is actually quite fun, and it's a nice combination of my abilities.'

Releasing a web-line with a surge of confidence, he did a mid-air flip. He landed on a wall and ran alongside it, keeping his momentum. He leaped off it, and made a corner, narrowly avoiding a billboard. He shot out another web-line and kept going.

'I hope Ochaco got home okay.' His thoughts wandered to how beautiful she was. Consequently, he missed his next web-shot and began to fall out of the sky. He hastily saved himself and caught his breath.

"I could definitely use some practice though..." he said to himself.

***

"We'll figure something out, Hisashi."

"I know we will, but this hospital bill...We could barely pay it."

"But we did."

"And the kid...He should've-"

"No. I won't let you blame yourself."

"Yeah...sorry. H-He had his whole life ahead of him."

"I'm sure he loved you like a father. I'm pretty sure I heard him call himself 'Izuku Midoriya' a few times. He'd left his old one behind. He couldn't bear to lose you."

"May...I just wish I could tell him I'd have been the best father I could. Even with these money troubles. If I have to sell the comic book store to make ends meet, I will, just to take care of...to take care of...h-him."

Hisashi broke down in tears. May hugged him and began crying as well. Izuku, who'd been listening to the conversation through a window, began to weep as well.

He couldn't go back. He refused to put them under any more pressure.

He climbed into his room and took what he needed, careful not to take too much. Not to let his surrogate parents he was still kicking.

He stuffed the rest of his savings and a change of clothes into his bag. He climbed back out the apartment window and swung away, willing himself not to cry.