Over the Web

"W-Why'd you stop me?"

Why did he stop her? He was asking himself the same thing.

"It's what I do." he replied, his voice devoid of anger. This wasn't the time to be mad. His mother had just tried to commit suicide. Something was definitely wrong.

"Psy-Emerald? You're a hero, right? Why would you want to do that?"

"I-I can't be a hero. I'm- I'm a terrible person... I'm a failure..."

She began to stumble towards the edge again. Spider-Man grabbed her and sat her down, kicking the empty wine bottle out of the way.

She was clearly drunk. Izuku had never seen his mother so broken, so vulnerable. He still hadn't forgiven her for the years of neglect and borderline abuse he'd gone through. He wanted nothing more than to leave and never see her again. But to imagine her crying on a rooftop, curled up with a bottle...

"Why do you think you're a failure?" he asked, sitting down next to her. 

"I-I killed my son! E-Even if he didn't die, he'd still hate me!"

She broke down again. Spider-Man awkwardly patted her back. He was at a loss. At least it wasn't Wade that found her. He shuddered at the thought.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked slowly. "Drinking doesn't help."

"It helps with the p-pain," she stuttered incoherently.

"You just tried to kill yourself. It doesn't help." Spidey stated firmly. "Do you want to talk about it? That helps."

"I-I was a terrible mother to my son, if I can even still claim that he was even my son." She choked down a sob and continued. "I made a habit of knocking him down for something that wasn't his fault. I pushed him away. I didn't even realize I what I was doing until he l-left. God, I barely remember what his voice sounds like!"

That was sad, but convenient.

"H-He eventually left the house, the h-hate in his eyes..." "t-then h-he went to stay with my ex."

Her ex? Mr. Midoriya? This was big news to Izuku.

"He was happy. B-But th-then, h-he-"

"It's okay. You don't have to say. Do you feel a bit better? Letting out your feelings is always a better idea."

"I- Thank you."

"You can thank me by not dying." You still have All Might, and a kid in U.A. right? "Stop pushing away the family you have left. "

***

"That went...about as well as I could've wanted," Izuku said, swinging home after ending another live-stream. His page was getting a ton of activity.

'Maybe next time I'll respond to a negative message,' he thought, climbing into his apartment window.

"Wade? You here?" he called out, pulling off his mask. His roommate peeked his head out a door.

"Yo. I caught the stream," he said. "So when were you going to tell me about your girlfriend?"

"Wha- I barely know her," Izuku shot back, his cheeks heating up.

"BS." Wade waved a phone in the air. "You're already friends."

"Didn't I make my friends list private? How do you know that?"

"This is one of your phones."

"Gimme that." Izuku snatched the device with a web. "I haven't reported you because you said you'll leave crime behind."