Chapter 1: The Story Begins

Living in London is an amazing blessing for me. I have an amazing flat (apartment), and get great grades. It's kind of annoying being named after a monarch from the 1500s (if you guessed correctly, my name's Elizabeth, but I prefer Liz). Because of that, I get nicknamed "Miss Tudor" by the other kids at school. That's why I prefer "Liz" and my parents and best friend use the nickname.

I'm a very artistic 13-year-old. I like to sing, dance and act. My main ambition is to be in a musical on the West End by the time I'm 30. I especially love Hamilton, Six (brand new, opened a year ago), and I got a preview of & Juliet which I adore.

As far as friends go, I do have a best friend. Her name is Millie, and she's American, all the way from Rochester in New York. We met in secondary school, and she had trouble understanding England itself. I began to tell her about England, and we became best friends.

We both love the West End (we live a few streets away from the Arts Theater!) and she's taught me a lot about America, the customs there and Broadway. She's the best mate (slang for "friend") I could ever ask for.

My parents have been struggling lately. My mom lost her work, and my dad's been going crazy. I was busy practicing "Confident" when my parents called me down. "We have something to tell you!"

I paused my music and headed to the lounge. "You know we've been struggling lately, right?"

I nodded, not knowing what this meant. My dad started talking to me about "relationship problems" and thinking about whether "now was the right time to do this". I nodded, trying to hold back my tears. Those words "your mom and I are splitting up" shattered me. They felt like a punch in the face. I started to sob. "Please no! I don't want this!" I sobbed.

"We don't have enough money to support you, Liz. We're going to need you to go on and start a new life, okay?" Mom said, wiping my tears.

I ran to my room, and buried my face in my hands, sobbing. My life was falling apart, and there was nothing I could do to make it better. I was debating whether to tell Millie or start packing. I decided to text Millie.

Liz: my life is over

Millie: what happened?

Liz: my parents are splitting up and they're kicking me out 😭

Millie: where will you go now?

Liz: don't know.

Millie: go to the arts theater. See if anyone wants you xx

Liz: thanks mate xx

Now time to ask when I have to leave. "When do I have to leave?"

"Tomorrow morning, just after breakfast, okay?"

Now my life is on the fence. Going on my own for the rest of my life sounded scary. What if my new family hates me? There's only one way to find out: go into the world itself.

I fell asleep, hearing the rain patter on my window. New life, here I come.

Thank you so much for reading!