Chapter 40: Grace's Last Show

Continued from previous chapter

"Oh baby, come here." Mom said wrapping me in a hug, tears falling down my face.

Grace and I were inseparable since the day I met her. I was a timid, shy, awkward thirteen-year-old who had just been found on the street by Natalie a few hours before to Grace becoming one of my best friends in the whole world (besides my school friends and my girlfriend). "Shh shh shh. It's okay, sweetie. It's okay. Shh shh." Mom said as she tried to calm me down.

"I'm so sorry that I had to let that out." I sniffled, grabbing for another tissue.

"Don't be sorry kiddo, don't be sorry. It's good for you. Want me to get you some peppermint tea in a travel mug before we go?" Mom asked, and I nodded.

After the tea finished steeping, Mom and I headed over to the theatre. "I know this is going to be hard for you, sweetie. You will get to see Grace whenever you want."

"Unless she's onstage, of course."

Mom and I chuckled as Grace walked in. "Gracie, I'm going to miss you so much." I sobbed.

"Me too, Lizzie. Me too."

"I can't wait to see where all this takes you."

"Same with you, Lizzie."

"I wanted to give you this."

I handed Grace the collage and the little rose, with a letter. "Lizzie, you didn't have to."

"I had to. You're one of the best aunts in the world." I said.

Grace was stunned. "You think of me as your aunt?"

I nodded, my cheeks turning red. "Oh, Lizzie, it's a good thing. Look at me. It's a good thing. I love you too, my niece. Promise me to keep me posted on upper secondary?"

"I promise, Gracey. I'm going to miss you." I sobbed.

"Oh, Lizzie, it's okay. Come here." Grace said, wrapping me in a hug, holding me tightly.

After hugging me for a while, Maiya snuck up behind me. "Maiya! You scared me right there!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry Liz. Anyways, Aimie's got something to tell you."

Aimie came up to me. "Liz, I really don't want to tell you this, but Millie, Maiya and I are leaving the cast in October. I'm so sorry, lovely." Aimie finished as she, Millie and Maiya wrapped me in a hug.

"What are you gonna be doing?"

"Millie and I just got casted to be in Rent." Maiya said.

"And I just got an audition for Pretty Woman. If I get the part, I'll treat you to front row tickets and VIP passes on opening night."

It was eventually call time. During the Megasix, just like when I was just found, I was right next to our Joan, waiting for Grace's goodbye. "Thanks everyone! I'm going to miss you so much!" Grace said as she pulled me down from the stage. "And especially to our sweet girl, I'll miss you the most, Lizzie." Grace said, taking my hand.

Grace hugged me tight, and I didn't let go. As the playout was playing (with Maiya doing the phone grab tonight), Grace led me backstage. "Lizzie, I made this for you." Grace said.

I looked at it. It was an extra photo from my bat mitzvah back in May with a note on the back of it!

To the coolest girl in the world. I'll miss you.
-Gracie x

I fell into Grace's arms one more time before I started crying again. "Oh Liz. Shh shh. It's okay. I'm right here. I've got you. It's okay, Lizzie-bug."

"I'm scared I won't see you again." I sniffled.

"You will. We'll see each other every week, I promise. I'll get you unlimited backstage passes to & Juliet. We'll get lunch at the Theatre Cafe. We'll still see each other, even if I'm in another show. Okay?"

"Okay. I'm so sad though."

"Me too, Lizzie. Me too." Grace replied.

As I was heading out of the theatre, I texted Grace.

Liz: I miss you already!

Graceyyyy: I do too. See u soon

Hi everyone,
I still can't believe I'm coming up on one year since I started writing this book. Any ideas for a one-year anniversary special?
Thanks for reading