Chapter 18: Dog Sitting

"So, what do you have planned for this weekend?" Millie asked as I walked in to our science class.

"At the theater, obviously."

"I'm kinda bummed though. Friday night tradition? Shabbat with the tea candles?"

"Yeah."

Since I told Nat that I'm Jewish, we (the cast and I) have a tradition that on Friday nights, we light tea candles in the theater before the show. It's like all of us taking a moment away from reality (until the stage manager says 'thank you five'). It's my favorite part of the week. And then I got a text.

Aimie: Can you look after Wolfie tonight?

Liz: What's going on?

Aimie: Gen's not feeling her best, I'm taking tonight off to take care of her. Vicki's covering me and it's normal for Wolfie to hang backstage. Normal rate good?

Liz: Do you want me to bring Wolfie over to your place as soon as the show's done?

Aimie: Works with me!

"And on top of that, I'm dog sitting Wolfie tonight at the theater." I said.

"Do you want to invite Fiona backstage so she can meet Wolfie and the rest of the cast? She's already met Nat and Aimie, but not anyone else yet."

"Yeah. I'll let Nat know as well."

Then the bell rang. Now study hall. Time to text Nat and Fiona.

Liz: I'm dog sitting tonight at the theater. Did Aimie tell you?

Natalie: Toby let us all know that Aimie would be out. She's dropping Wolfie off right now. She says hi.

Liz: Can I also invite Fiona backstage tonight?

Natalie: Sure.

"Nat says it's okay!"

"Girls! Keep it down!" The librarian, Mrs. Timms, said.

"Sorry."

And then Aimie pinged me back.

Aimie: Are you okay with Wolfie staying with you tonight? I asked Nat. She said it's fine.

Liz: OMG YES YES

Aimie: Thanks for doing this on short notice love!

Liz: No prob!

I showed Millie the texts Aimie just sent. "Oh my gosh!!!" She squealed.

The librarian shot us a look. Uh oh. I quickly put my phone down and started reviewing my West Side Story script. As soon as she was gone, I texted Fiona.

Liz: Wanna come backstage tonight?

Fiona: 👍👍

Fiona: Will Aimie be there?

Liz: She won't. Her gf's not feeling her best. She says hi though!

Fiona: oh.

I set down my phone. I couldn't wait to spend the evening with Wolfie. And she'd be spending the night at my house!! I was so excited. But what about puppy-proofing the apartment? Nat's already done that. But still!

Before I knew it, the bell rang, and it was time to meet Fiona at the front of the school and head to the Arts Theater. I was expecting to walk alone with Fiona, but Nat had come with Wolfie on her leash. "Wolfie really wanted to see you. I decided to bring her along." Nat explained, trying to tame the little white puppy.

Wolfie put her paws on my skirt and I pet her head. She then went to sniff Fiona. "Uh...does she normally do this? I've never had a dog before."

"It's normal for dogs to do that. Wolfie's still a puppy (A/N as of now Wolfie is three or four -I think-) so she's still got to learn." I explained, taking Wolfie's leash and began walking to the Arts Theater.

Wolfie wanted to sniff everything that we passed. "Did you puppy-proof the flat already?" I asked.

"Headed back after Aimie dropped off Wolfie. Millie watched Wolfie for a bit while I did that. She's totally a dog person. Wait, where is Millie?" Nat asked.

"Which Millie?" Fiona asked.

"Millie Daniels." I said. "Not Millie O'Connell."

We arrived at the theater about 25 minutes later (or a tad longer because Wolfie was sniffing EVERYTHING) and we headed in. Normally, we go through the stage door, but this time, we are going through the front door. "Nat, why are we doing this?" I asked, as the puppy tried to pull out of my grip.

"Not just because Fiona's meeting the rest of the cast, the director of the Jewish Community Center has something to tell you." Nat said. "I'll get Gen and Aimie on FaceTime. They'll really want to hear this."

The cast sat on the stage. "Good afternoon Elizabeth!" The community center director, Ms. Lewiston, exclaimed.

"I prefer Liz."

"Oh. Last name?"

"Abrams. I'm getting adopted soon, so...what is going on?"

"We're just telling you about the Maccabi games this year in Birmingham, Alabama in the United States. Do you want to try out for anything?"

"Dance. I'm down for that."

"Perfect. I'll see you in two weeks for your tryout."

Ms. Lewiston left, and there was a silence. "I have to help you practice. This is so cool!!" Millie squealed.

Millie had been dancing since she was three, and she's helping me put together a cool commercial jazz routine, which I'll FINALLY be able to perform. Aimie was squealing over the phone, and Wolfie jumped on me, licking my face.

Hi guys.
I haven't updated in a long time. I haven't had much inspiration and I'm out of town a lot. I'm so sorry
Thanks for reading!