Chapter 33: The Party (1)

After a quick lunch, Mom, Fiona and I headed back to the flat. "How does it feel, Liz, to finally have the hard part over with?" Fiona asked as I was changing into my SIX T-shirt I got back in January

"It feels good. But tonight, I really don't want to embarrass myself in front of so many people tonight."

"Why?"

"The cast is doing meet-and-greets for the guests and I hope that nothing embarrassing happens."

"The alternates are doing it too?"

"Apparently. I hope nothing goes wrong."

"It won't, Izzy. I promise?"

"Izzy? Is that your new nickname for me?"

"Yeah."

We sat in silence. "Have you seen your dress yet?" Fiona asked as she was starting to pull out her makeup.

"Gabriella, the costume designer, dropped it off last night. It's hanging at the front of my closet. Wanna see it?"

"Yeah!"

I carefully removed the plastic covering, and to my surprise, it was a glamorous cold-shoulder purple glittery dress. With it was a note.

Dear Liz,
Congratulations on your bat mitzvah! I hope you like the dress!
-Gabriella Slade

"Girls? What is going on in there?" Mom asked.

"I was just looking at the dress, that's all." I explained.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Mom replied.

"Gabriella did a really nice job." I added, "Is there anything that you need to tell us?"

"Astrid had to move up your makeup session to 5:15 instead of 6. It should take about an hour. She won't be doing your hair, so I'll do it for you. Okay?"

"Fine, Mom. Just touch up the curls."

Mom left, and then it was just me and Fiona. "Before I leave tomorrow morning...it can wait." Fiona mumbled.

"I can wait. It's okay. You don't need to tell me now."

Mom then did my hair, and we got into our dresses. Mom was wearing her- you guessed it- HER FIRST SIX COSTUME! "Mom, you're wearing THAT?" I asked.

"It's okay to repurpose my first costume, right?"

I spun around in my dress and posted to Twitter.

@LizKatParis- Queen Bling Bling Sparkle Bling Bling! @NatalieMayParis @FiJuLowell

"Liz! Hair time!" Mom called from my bathroom.

I then got my hair done, helped Fiona with her makeup, and then we were heading back to Astrid's salon. "Liz! How was the ceremony?" Astrid asked as she was setting out her eyeshadow palette.

"She knocked it out of the park!" Fiona blurted out.

"That's Fiona." I explained.

"And she's..."

"My best friend who used to live here, but now she's living in Canada."

Astrid did my makeup (the eyeshadow matched my dress perfectly), Mom then paid and at 6:00, we were heading to the venue, Best Parties Ever, just east of the Tower of London, which we passed on the way. We were the first ones there, and it was chilly. Tables and chairs had been set up. A dance floor and a disco ball were in the middle. The area for the photo booth had been cleared out, along with the snacks before the main course. Then the doors opened. I jumped. was it the caterer? The DJ? The photography people? Mom rushed over to let them in.

Part two of the party will come soon, I promise. Sorry this chapter is so short.
Thanks for reading!