Chapter 17: Decisions, Decisions

January flew by in the blink of an eye. February was approaching quickly. That meant I was about to become a Paris. I still didn't know if I wanted to change my last name. I was talking to Millie and Fiona about it. "I'm not sure if I want to hyphenate it. If I did, what would you prefer?" I said at lunch one day.

"I prefer Abrams-Paris. I also like Paris-Abrams too. But Abrams-Paris sounds better." Millie said.

"You could also remain Abrams. Or you could completely change it to Paris." Fiona said.

"Nat says that it's completely up to me. Whatever I choose, she'll still consider me a part of her family. The rest of the cast has also been helping a lot, too. I don't have much time until I meet with my lawyer. It's not like I'm testifying against my birth parents or anything. My lawyer just wants to meet me." I said.

Then I realized something. My dad used to be a lawyer. So did my mom before they kicked me out. "What if my lawyer is one of my parents?" I gasped.

"I doubt it. Also, I don't know how to tell you this, but..." Millie said, her face falling.

I held my breath. "They moved to Canada. Both of them. They couldn't find a divorce lawyer around here. I really didn't want to tell you. We lived in the same building, remember?"

I was shocked. "How did you know?"

"Our flats were right across the hall from each other. Mom saw a 'For Sale' sign right next to your old flat. I'm so so sorry Liz."

My parents are now in some city in Canada. "Where did they move to?" I asked.

"Toronto. I heard they're doing better there now."

"They're trying to become Canadian lawyers?"

"Mmhm. And they're wondering if they can come visit you here. In London."

"No. Natalie is going to be furious. She's my mother now! No one can replace her! Not even my birth mother!" I sobbed.

"Isn't the adoption in two weeks?" Fiona asked.

"Yes. And now my parents are halfway across the globe, and I was thinking about sending them an invitation to my bat mitzvah. Now it's no use. If they can't fly to London from Toronto, it's no use."

"We got off track here. So, you want to hyphenate it?" Fiona asked, handing me a biscuit.

"I'm going with just Paris. Thanks for helping. And thanks Millie for letting me know about my parents' whereabouts. After so long, I also wanted to know."

I dumped my tray. "What are you planning to wear for the hearing?" Millie asked.

"I don't know. We still need to go shopping though."

"Tomorrow before the show?" Millie asked.

"If I can get someone to take us. Yes, that includes you, Fiona. Just act normal okay?"

Fiona nodded. "She's never met the whole cast before, so give her a little space." I told Millie as I headed off to English.

The afternoon flew by, and before I knew it, it was time for rehearsal. It was the day of running through the rumble right before intermission. I just sat in the audience watching Millie run through her moves perfectly. "Let's run through 'Gee, Officer Krupke'. All the Jets that are in this number, let's run through it."

Millie ran through it, and see seemed quite natural up there. "Good job everyone!"

I picked up my backpack as Fiona got on her bus and Millie walked to her flat as I was walking to the theater. "See you tomorrow at my place!"

I wasn't sure how Natalie would react if I told her that Millie and Fiona were coming over to help me find the perfect adoption hearing outfit. It would be in the morning before the first show. I headed to the back of the building and opened the door. "Lizzie! How are you!" Grace exclaimed. "I'm on tonight."

"Who are you covering?" I asked.

"Maiya. She's not feeling her best. Decided to take the day off."

So Maiya taking me, Millie and Fiona tomorrow is out. "Is everything okay love?" Nat asked as she came out of her dressing room.

"I'm fine. Also, can you arrange someone to take me, Fiona and Millie to the mall tomorrow morning?"

"I'll take you three." Aimie said.

"Also...my parents moved to Canada!" I sobbed.

"It's okay sweetheart. It's okay." Nat said, rubbing my back.

"They're gone. For good."

Wolfie curled up in my lap and she made me feel better. I picked up my phone and texted Fiona and Millie.

Liz: Aimie's taking us tomorrow

Fiona: yayyyy

Millie: Yas!

When morning came, it was shopping time. My alarm went off at 6:30 and before I knew it, the girls arrived and Aimie picked us up shortly after Fiona got to the flat. "Aimie, this is Fiona. Fiona, this is Aimie."

Fiona waved. "She's a little starstruck." I pointed out.

Aimie agreed. She then took us to the mall, and we started with the first store the cast took me to when they first took me in, Macy's. We started scanning the racks for a cute, not too dressy outfit. "Black skirt with a blouse?" Fiona said.

"Too businessy. Maybe more of a dress. Ooh! I see something!"

On the rack was a maroon dress with little flowers on it. "And it's my size too!"

"Go on, try it on!" Millie exclaimed.

I went into the nearest fitting room and slipped on the dress. "Would black leggings go well with this?" I asked, trying to find a pair of black leggings.

"Try them on." Millie said, handing me a pair.

I tried them on. They fit!!

Thanks for reading!