Chapter 32: Bat Mitzvah Ceremony (3)

My mom was walking down back to her seat when Rabbi Cohen began her speech to me. "Elizabeth, first of all, mazel tov on your bat mitzvah."

Everyone applauded. "Liz, take a moment on how you envisioned your bat mitzvah in 2017. Pretty different, right? Then, as you mentioned in your speech, your mountain made its steepest incline yet. Now you have your found family, your biological aunts who still love you, no matter who you live with.

"Different perspectives change when the mountain has a crater, or a steeper incline that you expected. Liz, you find the benefits of those craters in your mountain as part of you. Take a look at yourself now: having your bat mitzvah in front of a family you weren't expecting to have. That's one of your craters. Every single small thing, you take as an opportunity. Never let go of that. Again, mazel tov."

There was more clapping. It was then my blessing, then after the Aleinu, it was time for my thank-you speech. "Without all these people," I began, "My bat mitzvah wouldn't be possible.

"To my mom: After I told you I was Jewish, you supported me on this entire path to where I am today. Mimi, Papa, you've treated me as your own granddaughter even though I'm not blood related to you. Same with you, Uncle Matt.

"Aunt Liana and Auntie Madison, thank you so much for coming in from Manchester, even though Lisa and Dad aren't a part of me anymore.

"To the cast of SIX, you helped me through the ups and downs of life, and thanks for celebrating shabbat with me.

"Thanks to Rabbi Cohen, Cantor Michaels and my tutor Amelia for making this day possible. And to my best friends Millie, Bailey Acadia and Fiona: you are the sweetest friends I have, and you helped me along my mountain."

The closing song played, "Oseh Shalom", and that was it! I was a bat mitzvah now! We were having a luncheon in the main gathering space. "Liz! We are so proud of you!" Mimi and Papa told me.

"LIZ! I'm so proud of you!" Jaye'J exclaimed.

"Mazels, Lizzie!" Grace said.

"You killed it!" Aimie squealed.

"I'm so proud of you, kiddo." Mom said.

"Can we please go get some lunch now? I'm hungry." I asked.

We then headed out to the main gathering space, where my BFFs tackled me in a hug. "LIZ! YOU WERE SO GOOD UP THERE!" Bailey squealed.

"You pulled it off!" Fiona said, blushing.

"The food has your name written all over it. Go, go!" Acadia exclaimed.

I quickly grabbed a bagel and some lox when Fiona whisked me aside. "Liz, I really, really like you. Uh...will you dance with me at your party?" Fiona trembled.

"Of course!" I exclaimed. "I like you too, Fiona."

I hate this chapter so much. I'm so sorry it's too short.
Thanks for reading!