Chapter 8: Bat Mitzvah Tutoring

The clouds opened to sunlight pouring in from my window. A great way to light up my rustic bedroom. "Hurry up! You're gonna be late!" Nat called as I slipped on a shirt with jeans and some Vans I had gotten with the girls my first full day with them.

"Eggs, toast, tea. The usual right?"

I nodded, putting everything into my backpack as the toast flew out of the toaster. I smeared some jam on it and quickly ate my eggs. "Have a fabulous day Liz!" Nat called as I was heading out.

"Cheerio!" (Cheerio is slang for 'good-bye')

I began walking to Ashbeck Prep, not far from the flat. Millie was waiting for me at the front step. "You've got tutoring tonight?" Millie asked, shifting her backpack.

"Yeah. But I'm kinda nervous."

"How come?"

"My tutor is a huge Six fan and she's gone mental." I explained, Millie nodding in agreement.

"Yikes! Best of luck tonight!"

The bell rang, and time for History. More being called "Miss Tudor". "Today we are learning about Jane Seymour. Does anyone know anything about her? Let's go with Miss Abrams, shall we?" Professor Cooper said, pointing his finger at me.

I stood up. I began talking about Jane and ended with another student's hand in the air. "Wasn't she the one taken in by Natalie Paris two weeks ago?" Mitchell Carter asked.

My cheeks burned. They figured out my secret. "Miss Tudor, adopted by a Tudor." Gregory Van Ward taunted.

Everyone began taunting "Miss Tudor" and that made me more embarrassed. Millie wasn't there. Great. "Class, that's enough. Thank you for sharing, Miss Abrams."

As the bell chimed, I ran out of the classroom. "Mitchell and Gregory found out about me and the cast of Six." I said.

"Someone even wrote an article about it." Millie said, pulling out her computer.

My life is over. If I tell Nat, she'd freak. I'll wait to tell her. "If I tell my tutor she'd want to see the article so she's out."

I then had maths, then bio, then lunch. It was fish and chips for lunch. Aimie makes the best ones, but I only have them on weekends. "I'm still freaked that the boys found out about the secret. Did someone get info about it, or did it happen spontaneously?" I asked.

"Dunno. You gotta dive deeper into it."

I then had English, then Drama. When the bell rang at 3, I walked home, worried about the tutoring session. Would Amelia freak out, or would she fangirl, or act normal? I didn't know. It was time to find out.

"Hi Nat. I'm back."

"Perfect timing. So your tutor should be here at 3:30, right?"

"She wants to be here a little earlier, actually. To meet you and hopefully not ask for an autograph."

Nat chuckled. I placed my backpack down in my room  and get out my binder. As soon as I set down my binder, the doorbell rang. My stomach began producing butterflies. I was so nervous. I carefully opened the door. "Liz! You're okay! How are you?" Amelia exclaimed.

"I'm doing okay. I'm so sorry to tell you that I moved."

"It's okay. Don't worry about it."

"Come in! Come in!"

I led Amelia to the kitchen. "Amelia, this is my foster mom, Natalie. Nat, this is my bat mitzvah tutor, Amelia."

Amelia's jaw dropped. "It's a pleasure to meet you." Nat said after the awkward silence.

I'm pretty sure that Amelia was fangirling right now. A mix of excitement and shock was plastered on her face. She didn't ask for an autograph, thank goodness. "How are you coming on your Torah portion?" Amelia asked.

Shoot. I hadn't practiced since I was kicked out and moved in with Natalie. Good thing I remembered my binder. And my highlighter. "I haven't had the chance. I haven't practiced it in two weeks! Ugh." I groaned.

"Do you want to review Behar quickly?"

I started reading it, and finished the first part perfectly. "Wow! Did you practice a bit over the weekend?"

"A little bit. At the Arts Theater on Sunday."

"Good! Just practice adding in the trope, okay? That's the next step. Let's practice the trope phrases."

After we finished what felt like 500 trope phrases (in reality, there are 31 phrases total), Amelia finished and I asked her if she would take me to the Arts Theater. "Of course!"

She drove me there, and luckily I had a key to the stage door. She waited until I headed in, then she drove off. "How was tutoring?" Aimie asked.

"It was good. She didn't ask for an autograph, thank goodness."

"Oh, and just letting you know, the costume designer, Gabriella Slade is designing your bat mitzvah invitations." Grace explained.

"Thanks girls! I can't believe you're doing this for me!"

"No problem, Liz. No problem." Nat said.

"It was Vicki's idea. She wanted it to be fabulous." Collette said.

"Ace!" Millie exclaimed. "Wait, when's your ceremony?"

"Last Saturday in May. May 25. I only started tutoring two months ago."

"We have something to tell you. You know how I'm legally fostering you?"

I nodded. "We got full approval from Parliament! It came in the mail while you were at school!" Nat exclaimed.

I was so happy!

Dear Diary,
A few amazing things happened today. First, I started my bat mitzvah tutoring again (yay). Then Grace told me that she lined up the costume designer for the musical is going to design my invitations for my bat mitzvah!!! And we got approval from Parliament to have Nat officially foster me!!!
Love, Liz

Today was a pretty good day, actually. All thanks to Amelia not asking for an autograph.

Thanks for reading!