Chapter Twenty Four

The coffee shop had just begun to get quiet after the lunch hour. I slumped against the counter with my hands holding up my chin, my lips squishing together dramatically as I let out a bored sigh.

"That's was a rough morning shift" Rebecca remarked, taking the stool opposite me and throwing down the cleaning basket beside me with a cloth chucked over her shoulder. "Everybody seemed to have a stick up their butt" she said, taking her phone from her apron pocket and checking it discreetly.

I glanced down as she let out a little laugh and followed her gaze to her phone screen. "What is it" I ask, whilst simultaneously day dreaming about Cassie at the same time.

"Blair has invited me to a party tonight" Rebecca confirmed with absolute delight.

I instinctively reach for my cell and stand up straight, checking my messages. I have none. "Oh" I say frowning... "She's not invited me" I observed, a little disappointed. I didn't want to party, but if Cassie would be there I would most definitely be there.

"It's your address" Rebecca informs me, holding her phone screen up for me to inspect.

My eyes widen "It's a party for me" I ask loudly.

"I got one too" Ben confirms, calling from out back where he is filling the dishwasher.

I spin around "Me too" the new guy Jarrod tells me, smiling at me like I should be thrilled.

"Did everyone get one" I call out to the team of green aprons.

"Yep" they all confirmed.

As I'm contemplating Blair's demise at the thought of her organizing a party at my own house without even asking, she appears, coming through the door and pushing Cassidy in her wheelchair to the counter.

My gaze falls on Cassidy, she looks a little fragile and doesn't make eye contact. I wonder if she's still upset with me after last night and my absurd stupidity of reciting a joke and a meeting that she wouldn't even remember. I had probably made her feel like she was either losing it, or that I was.

"You" I accuse sternly, pointing at Blair.

"Yes it's me Sarah" she sings delightedly "and before you lose your rag I was about to explain" she says, taking a seat beside Rebecca.

"Hi Cass" Rebecca says, acknowledging her presence in the chair beside us.

Cassidy looks up finally and she smiles with her kind eyes, but it is with politeness.  She seems devoid of energy, and like something has happened. I remove my attention from Blair and round the counter coming to a stop at Cassidy's feet. She looks up at me, for the first time, and I lower myself onto my heels, balancing on my sneakers.

"Are you okay" I ask worriedly.

I find myself feeling a little self-conscious at the way in which I am asking her. It is not my place to worry about Cassie in this world outside of limbo, not with such an urgency, a fierce and protective urgency. It's as if she reads my mind and she stills my thoughts with a simple touch, her hand placed around my forearm tightly.

"I will be" she replies quietly, but with a tone and a look that suggests she is about to begin a battle for it.

There is a moment when the words have left her mouth that it feels as if the shop around us disappears. She sucks me into another world entirely, just her and I, her hazel and blue eyes feel like they are peeling back my layers to reveal my soul, defenceless and laid bare...a soul I would gladly sell to the devil for her to remember me...to remember us. She continues to undresses my entire being slowly, her lips lifting into a contented smile, and her chest rising with a sigh, a sigh that is heaven to my ears. My senses are overcome then, to the point I let out a small sound of relief, so small nobody can hear it but her and I.