Chapter 1

It was a beautiful day outside, the sky clear and the sun shining down warmly on the town of Virgine, a light wind blowing through the street as street vendors sold sweet cherries right when they were in season. With this good weather, the streets were no doubt busy, a low murmur flowing through the public as paperboys handed out newspapers and little children from the nearby school were out on a walk. The town was a place of harmony, people helping those in need like it was a written rule and children running through parks while their stressed mothers chased after them. The town was straight out of a fairy tale - some nations did not believe a peaceful life like this was even possible and simply refused their existence, but the people of Virgine existed. Conflicts were a rarity and large celebrations like Christmas and Easter were shared throughout the small population, where gigantic amounts of food were served, calm music played by the community's orchestra and everyone was there just to make ever-lasting memories.

Today was no different, other than the low rumble that was accumulating from outside the McLoughlin Royal Family Castle, word of Their Majesties King Killian and Queen Sile visiting the townspeople once more before the queen is due to give birth. She was nine months, due to go into labour at any moment and her pregnancy was healthy and well documented, not as an "invasion of privacy" type of documentation, but more of a "the village are overprotective parents that want best for the young couple and their children". It was no longer a conversation of who the heir was, but of how healthy the baby is and how they're going to be born into a town that will shower them in peace and love. A boy, some rumoured. Others were sure the queen was bearing a girl just like her. It was to be confirmed at the end of their visit, the villagers planning a "surprise" congratulations party (there are no surprises in Virgine, someone's mother always forgets to keep her mouth closed, but that's just another charm of the village).

This comes as no surprise as the relationship between the royals and the townspeople was like no other. When they are out in public, they aren't bombarded with questions and flashing lights, never look uncomfortable or shy away. The king and queen were never annoyed with the people, nor have they ever asked them to respect their privacy, it was just not needed. More often than not, the people took their pictures, wished the young couple "have a good day" and went about their business. When Killian and Sile have time to spare, they would indulge in small conversations with them and even ask what rules they'd like to implement to give them the best quality of life. They realized it's their duty that the citizens remain happy and the citizens reciprocate it. The townspeople respected the royal family and the royal family respected the townspeople.

When the clock hit noon, the community church rang its bells. Everyone was out of their houses, aunties sitting on the porch and drinking tea as the royal couple left through the pedestrian gates of the castle, walking closer and closer to the main strip where most of the townspeople and their shops were. A protective hand was on his wife's waist as they walked side by side slowly to not stress the pregnant woman. The brown haired-haired woman always complained about being able to do stuff at regular speed, but Killian didn't want to take any chances, babying his queen till the end (she loved being babied, but would rather be boiled alive than admit it). As they walked closer to the town's main strip, Sile's white maxi dressed swayed beautifully in the wind, prettied with lace patterns and perfectly hugging her large belly while the short, off-shoulder sleeves allowed for her to stay cool, her chin-length hair and the light make-up on her face making her the embodiment of summer. She was ethereal, standing up to her name of "pure and musical" even though she rarely sang. Her existence sang a song of pure beauty, a song of the Greek Gods.

Her husband, on the other hand, wore short overalls.

"Too hot," he said when Sile desperately pleaded with him to wear something more fitting for the occasion. She knew that bargaining wouldn't change anything and left the conversation like that.