Chapter 9

Similar to their parents, the twins had each other.

And when they had each other, they could conquer the world.

It was only a year until that theory was contested, where all the terrifying odds seemed to be against the twins, and the bond between them finally came to the test.

It was only a year later, a few more days until the first day of grade 2, when Sean and (Y/N) were left to their own devices, hanging outside in the courtyard. It was the perfect day outside, the best way to end a child's summer vacation with a clear blue sky and the light chirping of birds above. There was a faint breeze, but it was heavily appreciated, especially with the way it blew against the young princess' yellow ball gown, the only thing she ever wears outside her school uniform. The dress, which reached her feet, covering her shiny black heels, was covered with flower embroidery scattered throughout, and also adorned with short lace sleeves that hang just below her elbows. Her hair remained untouched, slightly covering her eyes but her confidence never faltered. (Y/N) felt like she could rule the world and her favourite yellow dress provided her with a sense of comfort and sense of self. She truly felt like the princess of Virgine.

It was mandatory that (Y/N) had a glass of the finest apple juice in her yellow dress, and the fact that it was beautiful outside made the occasion even better. She set up camp in the courtyard, planning to spend the rest of the day relaxing and drinking juice. She brought her books, colouring materials, and dolls to keep her company, but of course, she couldn't do it all by herself. With the assistance of Sean, (Y/N) was able to have the summer day of a lifetime. He played into her plan of becoming a princess enjoying life comfortably on the terrace by becoming her servant, refilling her cup or getting cookies from the kitchen when requested, but a part of him wasn't playing. Sean felt like it was his duty to serve (Y/N), to attend to her every wish and protect her with everything he has. As much as he loved wreaking havoc, he loved catering to the person who watched him do so and making sure she was nothing but happy.

The sun was slowly setting, the sky carefully changing from calming blue to different shades of oranges, but (Y/N) wasn't done relaxing and Sean wasn't done being her servant. She was filling in a page of her colouring book before reaching out to have another sip of apple juice, finding that her cup was empty. She glanced over to Sean, who was trying with all his might to capture a poor grasshopper who was trying to get away from his rampant stomping.

"Sean, I'm pretty sure you're tormenting that grasshopper." She spoke softly, trying to scuffle a laugh as the boy sporadically whipped his head towards her, still determined on catching the bug. "Before you scare it anymore, can you please give me some more juice?" She smiled sweetly, and Sean didn't say anything but grab the pitcher from a trolley from the side and pour the golden liquid into the cup. (Y/N) bowed her head slightly in gratitude, but before Sean could finish refilling her glass, a few figures started to approach them from a distance. The small princess kept an eye on the figures as they slowly came into focus while Sean placed the juice pitcher back on the trolly, a bushy eyebrow raised in suspicion.

In came the twin's tall father, broad shoulders popping through his casual button-up shirt and his dark brown hair pushed back away from his eyes. He was accompanied by his sister and two guards, including Ms. Evie (as the twins referred to her). Evie was the head guard of the royal family, pledged in due to her unapologetic determination to protect Virgine. The four adults walked closer to the twins in unison with the same purpose evident in their steps. Yseult was adorned in her usual beige slacks and white button-up as well, the sleeves rolled up to combat the hot summer sun. Although she was a princess, Yseult rarely wore dresses outside official ceremonies and places where royal etiquette is required, mostly because she resides in the forests of Virgine, caring for the wildlife and large bodies of water on the edges of the town. However, this sudden visit, paired with the guards standing behind her and Killian didn't feel like this would be a regular invite to her woodlands.