the child in the forest

The day had been warm and bright as the summer edged on, cicadas singing into the air and fish jumping in the streams. Nadeshiko walked along the woods, humming as she carried a basket on her back that was half filled with treats for this evening. Her older sister was going to be visited by the family of her fiance and her father was determined to make a good impression on them. She had volunteered to go and get desserts to enjoy with their tea after dinner. Her long dark hair fell behind her back and was tied in a loose braid. Her eyes were glowing with happiness, golden specks sparkling in a massive pool of honey brown. It was said that all the women in her family were blessed to have eyes that reflected that of gemstones. They say that even the Empress would look upon them with awe and envy, wishing for such magnificent eyes.

Nadeshiko believed that her mother had the most beautiful, eyes that reflected the color of bottles, polished from the sea. It was a good thing that they had such beautiful women in their family, as her family had no sons born to them.

As she walked along the dusty road, she hummed a soft song.

"Little one, oh little one

Let your tears fade

Little one, oh little one

Your heart is made of jade"

Suddenly, she heard a loud wail, followed by a pitiful whimper from within the woods. Nadeshiko froze and stared into the murky depths of the forest, with shadows that seemed to block out the sun. The crying continued, weak at some points and loud at others. Her mind flashed with thoughts of yokai and monsters that lurked in the woods, making noises to draw in weary travelers like herself. But the crying continued, growing frantic and tired as the winds picked up.

"Curiosity will be the death of you," her mother often said. And she would be right, as Nadeshiko turned and walked straight into the woods, determined to find the source of such feeble wails. She walked along the stones and grass, listening quietly as the crying got louder and louder.

"MAMA!" Finally, she came to a ravine, where Nadeshiko peered in. Deep in the muddy ditch sat a little boy, no older than two, dirty and tired. He had fallen deep and was covered in dirt and dust. His inky black hair was full of twigs and leaves. He wore a kimono that was tattered and filthy, but Nadeshiko could see that it was once a very ornate and lavish one. He looked up at her, with bright green eyes. He opened his mouth and let out another, earsplitting cry for his mother.

Nadeshiko's heart broke. The poor thing must have wandered away from home and gotten lost in the woods. He was lucky that nothing came to eat him before she came along. "Poor child," she cooed. "You must be lost. Don't worry, I'll get you out." She clambered down into the ravine and plucked the child from the mud. He whined, but allowed her to carry him out of the ravine, where she put him in her basket. Placing the basket back on her back, Nadeshiko quickly left the woods, not knowing what yokai may have been attracted by the young child's crying.

She walked along the path, softly singing and lulling the boy to sleep.

When she returned home, her father stood at the door, berating her for being so late. "You are lucky that our guests haven't arrived yet, or we would have nothing to offer them with tea!" But as soon as he set his sights on the slumbering boy, her father became perplexed. "Who is this, Nadeshiko?"

"Papa, this boy is the reason I was late. I heard him crying in the woods and found him laying in a ditch. I think he is lost."