31.𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒎𝒆.

Yasmine Davenport sits in the back of her car after leaving her daughter's home and waits to reach her own destination. Her fingers glide over the screen of her phone and her lips are pressed in a thin line, refusing to show any emotion.

The drive goes over thirty minutes before they can finally reach their location and the driver quickly climbs out of the car and opens the back door to let her out.

Walking up the minimal stairs to the front door, Yasmine doesn't wait to be let in before she's inserting a key into the slot and going in herself. The threatening beep of the alarm goes off and she types in the code just as steady steps are head coming down the stairs right towards her.

"Yasmine." She turns around and faces the owner of the home, who is wearing black flare yoga pants and a white off the shoulder sweatshirt, looking incredibly casual yet ready to step out even at this time.

"Hi Riley." Yasmine lets her bag slip loose from her fingers and land on the ground and the other woman watches with a word, until her eyebrows furrow and Riley has to ask,

"Is everything okay?" Yasmine shrugs and breaks their gazes, bringing her hands to be strung together in front of her as she stares at the light grey walls in the house.

"Come here." Riley plops down right on the wooden stairs and Yasmine's heels click as she goes to join the other woman. "What is it?"

"Things with Jamie..."

"What about them? Did you get into a fight?"

"No...I just..."

"Hey, talk to me." The soothing voice makes the mother of four nearly melt and she nods slowly and begins explaining the events of the past couple of months, with Emerson and Connie Prescott.

"Jamie took it oddly, her emotions were all over the place and I can't help but blame myself that she wasn't better prepared on how to deal with her birth parents regardless of whether or not she wanted to find them."

Riley listens without saying anything, watching the way the mother's blue eyes shine with guilt and regret. "She'll never know Connie now and I just... I just feel so bad because I never brought it up. What if she was doing it for me but deep down it's why she wanted?"

"Have you spoken to Jamie?" Riley questions softly and she nods.

"Of course."

"What did she say?"

"That is was okay–"

"So?" Riley continues to cut Yasmine off and her eyes flash slightly at the interruption but she bites her tongue and stares into the bright green eyes silently. "If she said it's okay, what–do you not believe her?"

"It isn't that."

"Then I'll ask again, so?"

"Riley, I kept this from her for her entire life. As her mother it was my job to inform her of the possibilities that could happen once her biological family came back into the picture–"

"It was your job to give her home. Did you?"

"Yes."