chapter thirteen

1990
ollie

Chris had left to see the band because they had a small rehearsal. Stephanie had called and asked if I had wanted to accompany her to go shopping. I decided I would and got ready. I wrote a note in case Chris came back and didn't know where I was. With that I fled my small apartment and went along to where we were meeting.

The mall wasn't my favorite place to go, but I had to admit I was excited to buy new things. I walked to the main entrance of the mall and seen the nicely dressed, blonde Stephanie waiting for me. "Hello!" She said putting the nail file back into her purse. "Hey" I said smiling. "You look great!" She said smiling. It felt genuine of her to say that. " You look better then me, your stunning" I said smiling.

"No! You really are and thank you" she said. "I just want to apologize about the stuff that took place before, I didn't know what was going on and when it was all just happening...it shocked me. I'm really sorry" she explained to me, feeling guilt wash over her. It would have been cruel to not say anything back. "It's ok! That's in the past we all have to move on at some point!" I said and she nodded. "Your smart, and correct. Let's go to this nail place I love!"

She dragged me along with her to the nail salon on the second floor. We sat down at the table and waited for the nail techs to treat us. "I think I'll get red acrylics" she said. "Alright, and for you mam?" The tech who was goi to treat me asked. "I'll get a nice set of pink acrylics" I smiled and they nodded. "I don't know how Chris would like these" I said laughing. "Oh he'll be just fine, this is for me and you to enjoy" she smiled. She seemed like the really girly type. I enjoyed the girl gossip and some things but I just felt out of place sometimes. "Right..."

Once our nails were done I actually really liked them. It matched my hands well and the length was perfect. "I love how they look!" She said. "So do I!" I replied. We walked the mall for a bit longer. "If only I had a dude" she said sadly. "I promise you'll find one" I smiled reassuringly. We sat down to take a rest from the shopping. "I'm just so lonely. I wish there was something I could do to find a guy...yet there so annoying" she admitted. "I wouldn't know that well...I haven't guys let alone friends" I laughed at myself.

"Oh shit. That's not good. So you haven't...gotten laid yet?" She asked. It wasn't anything personal of her. I really had no problem talking about it. "To be honest. No, but it's no big de-" she grabbed my hand and pulled me along. "What are you doing!?" I asked laughing very scared as to what she wanted me to do. "Shut up and let me take you!" She ended up dragging me to a bra/ lingerie shop in the mall. "Seriously?" I asked her. "No pressure, if you don't wanna shop for it, no big deal it takes time to decide weather that's the commitment you want, but don't be afraid to want it." I didn't want to be a bitch to Steph but I wasn't ready to do that with Chris, still out of my comfort zone. But I should have some in case.

"Ok I'll buy some, but I don't know about getting laid yet." I said letting her take me into the shop.

...

We finished at the mall and I stood out side with her as we smoked, before we decided to head off. "Thanks for coming with me it was so much fun" she said slyly. Calmed down more then before. "No problem, it was a lot of fun" I said smiling back at her. Awkward silence was playing it's way along as we stood together. A sneaky, yet clever thought ran into my head. Eddie has no girlfriend, he's lonely and Steph is aswell. Was it a good idea? Never know until I tell her.

"Actually one of Chris friends...Eddie Vedder, is single..." I said to her. Her cheeks got rose red fast. "Oh um...we'll, I don't know I've seen Eddie around here and I've talked with him but-" she stuttered. "But what? What could go wrong? Its worth a shot, he's a good guy and one of my great friends" I said. "Maybe..." she left it to herself to decide. "You know...I'll do it" she said excitedly more round the end of the sentence. I was happy for her. "That's great!"

...

I got back home throwing my keys onto the table and putting down my bag. "Chris?" I asked. I heard thumping on the floor from the hall way. "Hi" he said. I smiled and walked over to him. "Hi sweetheart, how was band practice today?" I asked as he held me in his embrace. "Good, we got a gig soon, you should come everyone will be there" he said smiling. "Of course" I said kissing his cheek and going to the fridge. "How is Stephanie?" He asked me sitting on the counter. "Good, she knows Eddie and I think she likes him" I said smirking. "She does, and Eddie likes her" he said swinging his legs . "Oh cool, what would you like to eat?" I asked. He thought for a minute. "Surprise me" he said hoping off the counter kissing my neck softly. "Don't distract me rockstar" I said and he laughed hugging me. "Ok I'll leave you alone" he said walking to the couch picking up his guitar and playing something. He sang along as well, I decided to join him.

The song finished and he laughed. "What's so funny?" I said bringing our dinner to the dinner table. "Your singing is pretty good" he said standing back up to eat whatever I made. "Yours is better" I sat down and we began to eat.

The rest of the night was peaceful and filled with pure bliss. I sat in Chris' embrace on the couch and a record spined on the turn table. The pale Seattle breeze flushed in through the window as we fell asleep in the embrace of one another's arms...