Chapter 20

Kaya's POV
I prepare myself for a sleepless night as I stroke Chuck's hair slightly. His sleeping body is already in his hammock but I know that I won't be able to sleep. Even if I try, I won't be able to fall into slumber. And if I do - I'll be greeted with nightmares.
"Night Chuck." I whisper, leaning forward and placing a light kiss on the boy's forehead, before getting to my feet and walking towards the walls of the maze. The walls where Thomas and Minho are now inside. I place both of my hands on the wall in front of me, looking up it.
I can't climb it and I can't break through it... All I can do is wait.

I raise my shaking hand to brush through my hair before sliding my back down the wall. After taking a deep breath, I let everything out and start to cry. I cry for Thomas, I cry for Minho and I cry for Alby. Because they might not survive that night in there and I really don't know what I'm going to do without any of them. Arms wrap themselves around me and I expect it to be Chuck, but instead I find Newt next to me, rubbing my back as an attempt to calm me down.
"They might make it out of there... Right?" I ask, looking into his dark brown eyes.
"Right." Newt confirms, though his voice is shaky and uncertain.
"You're a brilliant singer, by the way." He says and I furrow my brows.
"I don't-" I cut myself off, giving him a joking stern look. "Did you spy on Chuck and I?"
"A little bit." He confesses and I laugh at the way his accent makes him miss the t in his words. "But really, you're talented."
"Thank you." I smile shyly.
"THOMAS!" I hear someone scream and I drop my smile, jumping to my feet.
"That came from the maze." I state. "That came from the maze, Newt!"
"Slim yourself nice and calm, Kaya." Newt says. "Don't get over excited."

"It's a simple procedure. We've done it so often it's like going to the toilet." Chancellor Paige explains and I nod my head.
"So there aren't any risks of Kaya getting hurt?" Thomas inquires.
"You're going through the surgery too, Thomas. Aren't you worried about yourself?" Ava Paige asks, smiling.
"I'd do anything if it makes sure she's safe." Thomas responds, his grip on my hand tightening.
"Alright. I'll give you a couple of minutes before you go into the surgery. You're both very important. And remember: W.I.C.K.E.D is good." Chancellor Paige leaves and I don't hesitate to connect my lips with Thomas's immediately.
"I've never loved anyone as much as I love you." Thomas whispers between kisses, pressing his body as close to mine as he can. "It kills me that you won't remember me."
"I'll always remember you. Somehow, I will." I promise, staring up into his dark brown eyes. They're so dark, they look black in the low lighting of the room.
"It's time." Thomas and I pull apart and are lead to the surgical room. The doctors undress me and lie me on a table, with a while sheet covering me. I look to my right and see Thomas already looking at me. As they put the needle in my left arm, I reach my right one out and it take's Thomas's outstretched hand.
"Everything's going to change now."

"Kaya... Kaya.... Newt.....KAYA!" my eyes open and I see Chuck shaking me awake. I look around and see that I'm still sitting with my back resting against the wall, curled up to Newt's side. "The doors are opening soon." He explains and Newt stretches his arms and legs out. I get to my feet and help Newt up as well, before we all stare at the walls. There are already quite a few Gladers standing by the wall, waiting for them to open.
"Get any sleep?" I turn to my left to see Gally there, looking at me with concern. That's new...
"Not a wink. You?" I reply, and Gally shakes his head sadly. "Is there even the slightest chance that those walls will open, and Thomas, Alby and Minho'll be standing there saying 'Gotcha!'?"
"That last part I'm not sure about," Newt says, his voice slightly scratchy from just waking up. "But honestly... No. I don't think they made it."
"They'll make it." Chuck states, crossing his arms firmly. "Nobody knows the maze better than Minho and Thomas is strong. They survived." Everyone sits down on the grass, counting down the seconds until the doors should open. A chubby hand grabs mine and I attempt to give Chuck an encouraging smile, squeezing his hands. Rustling is heard and Chuck leaps to his feet.