Chapter 37

Thomas's POV
We're making progress - found a couple more words already. But none of it makes sense yet.
Kaya's voice invades my mind, hours later. I smile at the sound of it and Minho gives me an odd look.
Wonder why we can do this,
I say suddenly.
Maybe we were lovers.
Kaya jokes. My eyes widen and I trip over my own feet, crashing to the ground. Minho stares at me like I'm insane and I give him a sheepish look.
"Look Greenie, we don't have time for my sister to be turning you on in your mind so can you try to ignore it?" he asks, making my cheeks burn.
This is so bizarre,
Elle continues.
It's like you're a stranger, but I know you're not.
I have to agree with her.
Shuck, I've known you for barely even a week and I'm in love with you.
I confess and she stays silent for a moment.
Elle?
I wonder if I scared her off.
Sorry! Water break. But yeah, I know what you mean. I love you too.
She answers.
I hate to break it to you, and myself, but we are strangers, aren't we?
I say, suddenly a little upset.
Don't be stupid, Tom. I think someone altered our brains, put something in there so we could do this telepathy thing. Before we came here. Which means we must already know each other. Besides, you can't fall in love with someone in a matter of four days.
She says, seeing the logic in things as always.
Brains altered?
I echo.
How?
I don't know - some memory I can't quite grasp. I think we did something big.
What are you talking about?
Wish I knew.

About 24 hours later, Minho and I are back at the Glade, which appears t be proceeding business as usual: farming, cleaning, gardening. Newt noticed us immediately and comes running, Chuck and Kaya hot on his heels.
"Thomas!" I throw myself at the girl, hugging her tightly. "What happened?" she asks. "Tell me you've got good news." Minho's eyes are dead serious, which is quite unusual.
"Nothing." He speaks. "The Maze is a big freaking joke." Newt looks at me, confused and Kaya looks crestfallen.
"What's the talking about?" Newt demands.
"He's just discouraged." I assure him, shrugging wearily. "We didn't find anything different. The walls haven't moved, no exits, nothing. Did the Grievers come last night?" I ask after noticing the bandage wrapped around the skin roughly above Kaya's left elbow.
"Yeah, they took Namara." Newt says, glum and darkness passing over his expression. I feel bad for him. He lost his only blood family member here. I don't know the guy, but it's sad to lose someone either way. Maybe Gally was right and they'll take one person at a time... "I'm sick of this!" Minho spits. "I'm sick of it! It's over! It's all over!" He throws his rucksack to the ground in anger. "We're all shucked." He states.

Elle?
I say in my mind, closing my eyes, an hour later.
Did you figure anything out?
After a long pause, I give up on trying this whole telepathy thing when-
Huh? Tom, did you say something?
I open my eyes again, excited that I've made contact with her. It's shaky a lot of the time, since we're both getting used to it, but it's kind of exciting.
Yeah, can you hear me? Am I doing this right?
Sometimes it's a little choppy, but it's working. Kinda freaky, huh?
It's not so bad, I admit. Are you okay? Still in the Map room?
Still here. I think we have the code all figured out.
Seriously?
Get down here.
That's all it takes for me to speedily walk towards the Map room.
Newt lets me in and sighs, running a hand through his blonde hair.
"Minho still hasn't shown up," he says. "Sometimes he turns into a buggin' hothead." It surprises me that Minho's spending - no, wasting - his time sulking. It's so unlike him. But I push the thoughts away from my mind so that I don't clutter it further.
"Come and check this out." Kaya says, tucking her curly brown hair behind her ear.
"I'll get down on my knees and kiss your bloody feet if you can figure it out." Newt says, knowing how brilliant Kaya's mind is.
"No doubt this is right," Kayapromises. "Just don't have a clue what it means." I take the paper she's holding up to me and scan it. There are numbered circles running down the left side, from 1 to 6. Next to each of them is a word written in big, blocky letters.