Chapter 29

I'm shaken awake at dawn by Minho. Him and Thomas are going back into the maze today and Minho promised he'd wake me up before they leave.
"C'mon Kaya, I'm about to get your boyfriend." He teases. Or, is he teasing? Is Thomas my boyfriend? Ignoring it, I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and follow him to the pit.
"Big day ahead, shuck-face." Minho tells Thomas. "You sure you don't wanna sit this one out?"
"Get me out of here man." Thomas says and Minho laughs, letting him out. Once they've got their Runner gear on, we walk towards the walls and they start to open. "Stay safe, okay?" Thomas orders, taking my hands in his. I roll my eyes at his protectiveness.
"Dude. You're about to go into a crazy maze that changes over night. I think you should be the one trying to stay safe." I remind him.
"No promises." Thomas flirts and I hold back a laugh. Flirts?
"So you're a rule breaker, then?" I jokingly flirt back, mostly just to annoy Minho and make him uncomfortable.
"You two done?" he asks and I sigh.
"Just one minute." And then I smash my lips onto Thomas's. Partially because I haven't done that in a while, mainly to annoy Minho even further.
"If you two are done shoving your tongues down each other's throats - I'm sure Newt has a job for you to do. As for you Thomas, our job's right there." I pull away and grin at the two boys.
"Try not to get eaten by Grievers." I state.
"Inspirational." Minho says sarcastically, wiping a non-existent tear from his cheek. "C'mon lover boy, let's go."

"Good morning all-mighty ruler of the Glade, what am I supposed to do today?" I greet Newt, causing him to look at me weirdly. "What? Frypan gave me caffeine." I state, making Newt laugh.
"Alright. Today, you can look after Alby. Make sure he gets some water into his system. If anything happens, come and find me immediately. And make sure to change the cold towels on his forehead every half hour to keep down the fever." Newt tells me and I raise my eyebrows.
"Who died and made you Clint the Med-jack?" I tease, stunned that he knows exactly what to do.
"Nobody. I've just been really anxious about this whole being the leader thing." Newt confesses.
"Don't worry," I rub his arm comfortingly. "You're doing great." I assure him. "Much better than anybody else here could, okay? You're hold us together." I state and my eyes widen. Subject A5, The Glue. The words ring through my mind but I can't figure out where I heard them, or what they mean.
"Hey, are you alright?" he asks, concerned.
"Yeah. Sorry, spaced out a little." I speak, shaking it off. "I'm gonna go to the Med-jack house." I tell him before walking off to where Jeff and Clint spend all of their time. "Hello?" I say, walking through the building. I trudge up the stairs and enter Alby's room. He's still lying down, knocked out. I feel the towel on his forehead and see that it's not cold anymore, so I hang it up to dry and grab a new one from the cupboard. Once I've wetted it with cold water, I fold it up and place it on Alby's forehead, making sure not to disturb him too much, in case he wakes up.