Chapter 45

"No, Chuck. You're gonna give it to them yourself." He reminds us. "Remember, I told you that." Thomas is talking way too quickly for him to be properly understood, but everything seems to be happening in slow-motion around me.
"Take it." Chuck pleads, putting it in the older boy's hand.
"No."
"Thank you Thomas." Chuck stammers, jerking around. "Thank you Kaya."
"No, Chuck," I sniff. "You're gonna get-" I cut myself off, unable to keep talking. I take one look at Thomas and see him falling apart. He's frozen, almost as if he can't will himself to react in any way. His lips are pressed in a straight like, but the muscles on his neck are tense, just like the rest of his body. The only proper sign of emotion he shows lie in his dark brown eyes. They're glazed with tears, threatening to spill and look dull compared to his normally curious ones. Suddenly, his lip quivers slightly and he starts to break down.
"Chuck, hey." He shakes the lifeless body in our arms. "Hey, Chuck come on!" Thomas shouts. "Come on, wake up!"
"He's not sleeping." I whisper to myself, tears already making their way down my cheekbones. I'm not like Thomas. I can't put on a brave face.
"Chuck." Thomas sutters, now openly crying into Chuck's chest. He takes in gasps of air as he cries. "Damn it." I look up at Newt to see his hand covering his mouth, trying to suppress his own cries. "We made it. Come on." Thomas continues, and even tough, sassy Minho has to close his eyes to prevent tears. "I'm sorry." Thomas is now sobbing and the sight breaks my heart more than anything I can remember seeing. The pain in my chest increases and crying doesn't make it go away. Not at all.

"God damn it!" Thomas screams, making me cry even more. The doors open again and I can see people running towards us.
"Thomas." I breathe.
"Chuck!" he shouts. "Get up, Chuck! Come on!" Thomas yells. I'm ushered out by the people but push their hands away.
"No!" I croak, trying to get back to Chuck and Thomas. "Don't hurt him!" Thomas gets pulled away from Chuck before freeing himself and crawling back to the dead boy. But Thomas gets dragged back.
"You can't just leave him there!" Thomas and I scream, almost exactly at the same time. The broken lab becomes a small picture in the distance soon and I'm now running across a hot, sandy surface, trying to get towards a helicopter that's waiting for us. I get inside and sit down next to Newt, wishing somebody would tell us what's going on. A man takes his mask off, revealing his face.
"You guys alright?" he asks us, not getting a response. "Don't worry." The man continues. "You're safe now." Every Glader in the helicopter looks confused and unsure, but there's nothing we can do. Thomas is holding Chuck's figurine in his hand, staring at it before looking up at me. Our eyes meet and I know we both look the same. Tired, dirty, confused and completely broken to pieces. But Thomas puts all the pieces back together when he grabs one of my hands, putting it on top of Chuck's figurine in his hand and kissing it.
"I love you." he tells me and I sniff, leaning forward to kiss him quickly. As we take off, everyone looks out of the window of the helicopter to see the Maze. The maze that I've been in for a few days, and some of the closest people to me have been in for several years.

"Relax, kid." The man says. "Everything is going to change."