Chapter 28

I was so caught up in trying to remember, I almost forgot about Chuck being here. "You were there and you told me that everything was going to change."
"What does it mean?" I breathe, my mind clouded with different thoughts.
"I don't know. I-I just always get pieces." Thomas continues.
"And the others don't remember anything." I add, making Thomas and I seem even more different.
"No." he confirms. "Why are we different?" he asks again. I look at the signature on the bottom of the note.
"W.C.K.D..." I read.
"Wicked..." Thomas puzzles everything together.
"What if we were sent here for a reason?" I point out.
"Because there's something different about us."
"I don't know... but I don't want to think about this anymore." Thomas tells me, and I mentally agree. I look over at Chuck to see him playing with his small wooden figurine.
"What've you got there?" I ask, letting Thomas eat some more. Chuck glances up at me, startled. He shows me before displaying it to Thomas as well. It seems to be a boy - maybe it represents him
"Oh wow." I say, impressed.
"That came out pretty damn good." Thomas adds. "What's that for?"
"It's for my parents." Chuck tells us, and I gaze down at him, astounded.

"You remember your parents?" I question.
"No." he admits quietly, shaking his head. "Mind me, I know I must have them." Chuck reminds us before sighing. "And wherever they are, I'm sure they miss me but, I can't miss them because I don't remember them." I shake my head as Chuck looks away, possibly tearing up a little.
"That isn't true." I deny, causing Chuck to look back at me, a little hopeful. "Maybe you don't remember your parents. So you don't miss those exact people. But you can miss the idea of having parents." I recall.
"It's alright to want to have a family." Thomas continues for me.
"But just remember, you've got a family right here." I give the boy a hug and he takes some of my shirt in his fist.
"Thank you." he tells us before looking at Thomas. "What do you think you're gonna find out there tomorrow?" Chuck asks.
"I don't know." Thomas confesses. "But there's a way out, Chuck. Me and Minho are gonna find it..."
"Here." Chuck speaks, handing Thomas the figurine. My eyes widen and Thomas gasps a little.
"Chuck, why would you give this to me?" he asks.
"Can't remember them anyway." Chuck utters after a moment of though. "But maybe if you find the way out, you can give it to them for me." Poor Chuck... Thomas looks at the figurine and Chuck gets up. "I'm gonna get some sleep..." he starts to walk away, but Thomas calls him back.

"Hey, Chuck! C'mere." Chuck waddles back and crouches down. "Give me your hand." Thomas orders softly, and Chuck obeys, holding his palm out. Thomas palces the figurine in the boy's hand, closing his fist for him. "I want you to give that to them yourself." Thomas whispers. "We're gonna get out of here. All of us. Okay? I promise."
"Okay." Chuck whispers silently.
"Alright."
"Good night." Chuck says softly.
"G'night buddy." Thomas replies and I smile at Chuck.
"You go ahead. I'm gonna be there in a bit." I tell the boy, who nods and walks away, leaving Thomas and I alone.
"That was really nice what you did there." I tell Thomas. "You have this incredible way of seeing courage in everyone else except yourself."
"Not really." Thomas denies and I laugh a little.
"There it is again." I point out. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Just... try and get some sleep." Thomas nods his head, holding out his hand to grab mine.
"I love you, Kaya..." he declares. "I love you so much." Smiling, I lean forward and peck his lips, since his face is as far out of the pit as it can possibly be.
"I love you too, Tommy." I reply, before getting up. "Sleep well, yeah?"
"I'll try."