Chapter 40

I seem to be doing fine with running - it's something I enjoy doing. Though I don't think I'd have been a good Runner in the time that we were here. Were. I think to myself. We still are here... "Keep it up guys, we're almost there!" Thomas calls and I realize he's leading us to Section Seven. That's where he found the Griever hole and where the little GPS like device inside the Griever lead him to. Minho and Thomas were in that Section a couple of days ago, but all of that seems faraway and distant.
You can do this. I hear a voice say and whip my head around to try and face the person speaking. I then realize that by the way it echoed inside my head, as if it was in my mind, means that it must have been Thomas speaking to me telepathically. I remember Minho going on about us having that special gift. "Telepathic," he said. "More like telapathetic." I look over at Thomas and see his determined expression. Just make it to that Hole. His voice continues.
Did you mean for me to hear that?
I ask and he stumbles a little from shock. I guess not...
Not really.
Scared?
I ask as we keep running.
No, I love things made out of blubber and steel. Can't wait to see them. Thomas replies with no mirth or humor in his tone.
So funny. I respond, sarcasm dripping from my voice. I'm running almost right next to him, but our eyes are glued to anywhere but the other person.

We'll be fine. Just stay close with me or Minho.
Thomas tells me and I decide to tease him a little.
Ah, my Knight in Shining Armors . What, you don't think I can fend for myself? I'm sure I can fight very well against those Grievers, because I've been doing a little fake-combat with Clint and Jeff when we had nothing to do in the Med-jack house.
Actually, I'm thinking the exact opposite. Just trying to be nice. I smile at Thomas's words - or thoughts, or whatever they are - and Thomas stops in front of a corner. He looks around it and gasps a little before hiding again.
"Is there a Griever?" Chuck asks with both fear and excitement lacing its way through his voice.
"Yeah." Thomas confirms. Murmurs ring through the Gladers amongst us and Chuck sucks in a breath.
"You take this Chuck," Minho hands Chuck the little GPS like key-thing. "Stay behind us."
"It's okay." I assure Chuck, tying my messy, curly locks of hair into a ponytail at the speed of lightning. "You'll stay with me." I give the boy a reassuring look, grabbing his hand.
"This thing will activate. Now, we stay close, we stick together and we get through this. We get out now or we die tryng." Thomas speaks, although I think he's talking to Newt, as if making sure his little pep talk is alright.
"Minho?" Newt asks and the Runner nods, facing the crowd.
"Be careful." He says dryly. "Don't die."
"Great. We're all bloody inspired." Newt answers, rolling his brown eyes.