Chapter 25

"What about the note?" I question.
"We'll worry about the note later." Newt assures us.
"I think you should worry about it now." I deny, but Newt just turns his head and gives me a stern look.
"We've got enough to deal with at the moment." He reminds me.
"He's right, Newt." Jeff speaks up, though he's normally quite quiet. "If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"
"No one said that." Newt reminds us, licking his lips.
"Let's not jump to any bloody conclusions... We'll just.... We'll just wait until she wakes up and see if she knows anything. Somebody's gotta have some answers around here."
"I just don't-"
Thomas.
I jolt up from my chair, knocking it backwards and spinning in a circle.
"What's wrong?" Newt asks. "Did you remember something?"
"I...." I trail off, looking around the room in confusion. "Newt, did you just say something before I stood up?"
"No." Of course not.
"Oh. I just thought I heard something... I don't know. Maybe it was in my head. Did... Kaya say anything?"
"Kaya?" New repeats, his eyes lighting up a little. "No. Why? What did you hear?"
"I... I swear I heard her say my name." I admit.
"Your name? No, I didn't hear that."

"It was... I swear I heard it. But in my mind. I can't explain it." I say, racking my brains for any way to tell him how I heard it.
Thomas.
This time, I jump from my chair and scramble as far from the bed as possible, knocking over the lamp on the table; it lands with a crash of broken glass. A voice. A girl's voice. Kaya's voice.
"What's bloody wrong with you?" New asks. My heart races in my chest, so loud that I can hear it thumping in my ears.
"Kaya... she's freaking talking to me. In my head. She just said my name!"
"What?"
"I swear!"
"Tommy, sit your butt down. What are you bloody on about?"
"Newt, I'm serious. It's... not really a vice... but it is."
Tom, we're the last ones. It'll end soon. It has to.
The words echo in my mind. I hold my hands up to my ears, trying to figure out where this is coming from.
My memory, Tom. It's fading. It's right there, I can grasp it. But it's too far away. Like it's out of reach.
This is too strange. I can't take it anymore.
"Where are you going?" Newt inquires.
"Back in the maze." I state, not waiting for permission.
Everything is going to change.
Kaya's voice says.
I feel like screaming. Because the sensation is causing a headache to pound in my temples and is messing up my mind.
It was you and I, Ton. We did this to them. To us.

"Hey. Hey Thomas, hey, hey!" Minho runs after me, stopping me from going any further. "What is this with you - a death wish? You just out, now you want back in?"
"Y-you said that no one's ever seen a Griever and lived to tell about it... Right?" I remind him. "Now we have one! You're telling me you're not even a little bit curious?" Minho gives me a strange look, furrowing his eyebrows.
"Not really, no." I walk past him but he pushes me back again. "So what's the plan? You're gonna go in and dissect that shuck thick all by yourself?"
"I will if I have to." I confess. "Have the other Runners left yet?"
"The other Runners quit this morning." Minho's voice is filled with disbelief and disappointment, as he points at the ex-Runners talking to Gally. Of course. "After Alby got stung, they're not in a hurry to get back out there." He looks away from the Gladers and faces me again. "Why are you?"
"I-I think it's time we find out what we're really up against."
"Alright. But you're not going out there alone." Minho states. "Meet me in the woods in half an hour."