Chapter 21

"Guys, get up!" Chuck says as the walls open. We all get to our feet and stand by the opening, but Newt looks like he'd rather be anywhere but here. We wait for them to open completely, and see nothing there.
"Told you Chuck," Newt speaks, looking crestfallen and pitiful at the same time. "They're not coming back." My eyes water slightly as I realize I'll never see Thomas or Minho again. Never push his dark hair away from his forehead, never feel him hug me...
"Guys..." my voice cracks as the boys turn around and walk away. Zart turns around and sends me a distressing smile, but instead his expression drops and his eyes widen.
"No way." He breathes and I look at the maze in confusion.
"Yeah!" Chuck cheers as three figures approach us. Newt rushes forward and Thomas, Minho and Alby all fall to the ground. It takes about five boys to carefully look at Alby but I'm frozen in place.
"Watch out!"
"Easy, easy!"
"Take it slow!"
"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asks Thomas, making him look up at Chuck's face as he takes in deep gasps of air, since he's out of breath.
"Yeah I saw one." Thomas admits, but Minho shakes his head.
"He didn't just see it... He killed it." Minho tells us, and everyone stares at Thomas with a newfound shock, or admiration. Everyone helps get Alby to the Med-jack house and Chuck, Thomas, Minho and I are left standing by the maze.

"Kaya..." Thomas breathes and I step forward, swinging my arm up and slapping him across the face, hard. He stumbles back, his face thrown to the left in shock. I hear Chuck suck in a breath of air and Thomas looks back at me, pain and confusion a clear emotion on his face. Then, I step forward and grab the back of his head, pressing my lips gently to his. It takes him a moment to recover from his shock, but when he does, he wraps his arms around my waist and kisses back, his lips moving gently against mine.
"Don't do that to me." I speak once we pull away.
"Please Thomas, please don't do that." I start tearing up from relief and wrap my arms around him in a hug, sobbing into his chest. From the way his shoulders shake, I can tell he's crying too - the maze must be quite scarring. "You're an idiot." I say, pushing him away from me. "You're such an idiot Tommy!" I repeat, shoving him more and more. "I hate you for what you did to me!" I yell, hitting Thomas. He blocks my hits easily but I don't do it to hurt him. I do it to make a point. "I hate you I hate you I hate you!" eventually, Thomas just grabs my hands, places them on his shoulders and picks me up. My legs wrap around his waist and he kisses me again, but this time it isn't quick. It's needy; hungry for emotion and another person's touch.
"You're crazy." Thomas breathes between kisses, his hold on my waist tightening slightly.
"You're crazier." I retort, kissing his jaw and down his neck.
"I love you."
"I love you too."