Chapter 36

"Man." Minho mutters, summing up every single emotion I'm feeling.
"Could be a coincidence." I state, trying to make sure nobody gets their hopes up too fast. "Do more - help me." Everyone hands me the pages and I put them together in order, the eight pages of one day, from Section One to Eigh. Each time, an obvious letter forms in the entre of the crisscrossed mass of lines. After the F is an L, then an, O, then an A, and a T. Then C... A... T.
"Look." I say, pointing down the line of stacks we all formed. "It spells FLOAT and then it spells CAT."
"Float cat?" Newt asks. "Doesn't sound like a bloody rescue code to me." I ignore his tone and sigh.
"Just keep working." I say, and we do. Another couple of combinations causes us to notice that the word isn't CAT. It's actually CATCH. FLOAT and CATCH.
"Definitely not a coincidence." Minho finally gives in.
"Definitely not." Newt, Thomas and Chuck all chorus. Chuck's been cutting out as much wax paper as possible, because he refused to let us leave and I refused to let him know too much. Just in case nothing works out, I don't want to traumatize or disappoint him. 272.
"We need to go through all of them - all those boxes in there." I state, pointing at the storage cupboard.
"Yeah," Thomas agrees. "Let's get on it."
"We can't help." Minh ostates. "At least not me and Thomas here. We need to get the Runners out in the Maze."
"What?" Thomas asks. "This is way more important!"
"Maybe," Minho answers, his voice calm. "But we can't miss a day out there. Not now." I feel a certain rush of disappointment.

Thomas is like my rock - he keeps me sane in this Glade. But I know that he has other things to get to.
"Why, Minho? You said the pattern's basically been repeating itself for months - one more day won't mean a thing." Minho's hand slams against the table, hard, stopping Thomas from speaking further.
"That's bull-crap Thomas! Of all days, this might be the most important to get out there. Something might've changed; something might've opened up. In fact, with the freaking walls not closing any more, I think we should try your idea - stay out there overnight and do some deeper exploring."
"He's right, Thomas." I admit. "You two get out there and run, Tommy."
"Chuck and I got this." Newt adds on.
"Me too," I agree. "I'll stay and help Newt." Thomas looks at me.
"You sure?" he's probably itching to figure out the code, but he knows that Newt, Minho and I are right. I just smile, crossing my arms.
"If you're going to decipher a hidden code from a complex set of different mazes, I'm pretty sure you need my brain running the show. After all - I figured this out." My grin turns into a smirk of pride.
"If you say so." Thomas agrees, folding his own arms.
"Good that." Minho nods, turning to go. "Everything's fine and dandy. Come on." he starts towards the door, but stops and turns back around when he realizes Thomas isn't behind him.
"Don't worry, Tommy," Newt says. "Your girlfriend will be fine." Thomas turns bright red from the words, and I find myself smiling. Nodding a little, Thomas reaches over and kisses my temple.
"Don't worry," Chuck speaks up. "If your girlfriend gets lonely for you, I'll give her some lovin'." Thomas rolls his eyes and I laugh at the boy's words.
"You better not," Thomas teasingly warns. "I've got no time for competition."