Chapter 23

"But then again, he's... changed things. Now we know we can survive out there, and that we can beat the Grievers." I feel relieved - like it's good that somebody understands my own opinion. But I remind myself not to get too hopeful.
"Oh, give me a break." Gally scoffs. "I bet Minho's the one who actually got rid of the stupid things."
"Gally, shut your hole!" Newt yells, standing up as a serious effect this time. "I'm the bloody Chair right now, and if I hear one more buggin' word out of turn from you, I'll be arranging another Banishing for your sorry butt." I see Chuck silently clap his hands, which causes me to stifle my laughter.
"Please." Gally whispers, sarcastically, like everything Newt's saying is ridiculous. But he doesn't say anything else. "Is that it? Any official recommendations?" Zart shakes his head. "Okay. Thanks. Frypan, you're up." The cook smiles and sits up straighter.
"I agree with Zart completely on Kaya's part. She's figured out things in minutes that took some of us months to realize. The girl's good at basically everything she's shuckin' done here. As for Thomas - Shank's got more guts than I've fried up from every pig and cow in the last year! How stupid is this - he saves Alby's life, kills a couple of Grievers and we're sitting here yappin' about what to do with him. as Chuck would say, this is a pile of klunk." I see Chuck's eyes light up at the mention of him, and he beams to himself, looking extremely proud that he's so important.

"So what're you saying?" Newt questions, raising an eyebrow. I wish I could do that...
"Put him on the shucking Council and have him train us on everything he did out there." After calming everyone down, Newt scribbles everything down on his notepad.
"Gally?" Newt says with a sigh, knowing he probably won't like what's coming up.
"Things are changing..." Gally starts, catching my interest. "There's no denying that. First Ben get stung in broad daylight, and then Alby. And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here." True so far... Gally is slightly more relaxed and unbiased than earlier, probably because he doesn't want to get banished by cranky-Newt...
"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Winston, Keeper of the Slicers, reminds Gally.
"Did he?" Gally questions, raising his defined eyebrows. Newt cocks his head to the side, but I'm not sure due to what emotion. "For three years, we've coexisted with these things." Gally continues, referring to the Grievers. "And now you've killed one of them." He points at Thomas. "Who knows what that could mean for us?"
Finished, Captain Gally?" Newt inquires.

"Quit being such a smart aleck, Newt. I'm dead serious. How can we trust this shank after less than a week? Quit voting me down before you even think about what I'm saying. He has to be punished." Gally shrugs and yells erupt from the crowd of Gladers.
"Woah, Gally!"
"HOLD UP!"
"He killed a Griever!"
"Are you serious?"
"Minho." Newt interrupts everyone. I turn to face the Runner, who hasn't said anything, or looked up from his lap since this Gathering started. "You were there with him, what do you think?"
"I was out there; I saw what this guy did - he stayed back to help Alby while I ran. I don't know if he brave or stupid. But what ever it is. We need more of it."
I hold my breath, grabbing Thomas's hand in mine. Minho looks over at Thomas before taking in a deep breath.
"I say we make him a runner."