Seventeen

•Neera•

"Okay, this won't be easy, but I need you to let me talk until the end, I will answer everything you want to ask. And most importantly, I will never hurt you and I would never let anything happen to you. Or Theo. Do you understand that?" I say and I can already see the fear in her eyes.

"I understand." She intertwined her fingers and I can see her squeezing her hands tightly.

"I don't know who my father is, never knew, my mom was always high in weed, heroin, cocaine, meth, name a drug and she used it, when I was 14 she had my sister, Ivy, her father was a drug dealer and my mother sold her body to pay him for the product. I had to take care of her, alone, my mother kept using drugs and she still probably does, I don't know where she is.

"I couldn't work at fourteen no matter how much I pleaded or begged no one wanted a 14 years old working for them, I had to find another way to get money, Ivy needed milk, diapers, and everything a baby needs and I needed a roof and water, electricity, food. So I went to the bad people, gangs, dealers, anyone that could offer me a job.

"And they did, since I was young, looked innocent and sometimes had a baby strapped to my chest no cop would suspect me of anything, that was perfect for them, so I started transporting drugs-"

"Are you a drug addict?" Alice asked, her eyes wide.

"No, I never used, not even weed. Anyway, money was coming so I continued working for them, I trained, learned how to fight, and shot, at sixteen my mom one day went out and never came back, at seventeen I found Liam he helped me with Ivy and work. And now-shit I don't know how to say it."

"Just say it." Alice said, it wasn't rude but curiosity.

"Alice, I'm a criminal, I am the boss of thousands of criminals, I sell drugs, guns, falsification of money."

"Oh-uhm- I was not expecting that." She said and gets up, she started pacing the office back and forward and she keeps looking at Theo.

"I want to help you Alice, you and Theo, I told you what I've been through and it's something like you. I know how hard it is and it will be along the way."

"So- uhm- I don't really know what to think or ask."

"What's the first thing that comes to mind?"

"Do you kill?" She said so fast I barely understood.

"I do, but never children or innocents, I kill people that try to kill me or hurt my family."

"And Ivy?"

"Ivy is capable of that but she never did, she knows how to fight and use guns and knives, but if I can keep her away from the worst parts I will. She knows what I do, I have several legal businesses like the club and she helps me with the books and stuff."

"Of course, Neera Zade, so the rumors are true." She mumbles to herself.

"Most of them. Look, there's no safer place like this house, and there's no one else that can protect you like I do, Alice. I swear on my life that nothing will happen to you or Theo, but if this is too much I understand, we can -"

"No, wait. Let me just think. I'm afraid of everything, but I was more scared of my father, and I saw the way you are with others even with Theo and me, it's just- if something happens to hi-"

"No, nothing will happen to him."

"Can I learn how to fight? I felt weak and useless when I was with my father I never want to feel like that again." She said and I was filled with pride at her words. No one should feel like that, because no one is useless or weak, and if learning out to defend herself will help her, I'm more than happy for her.

"Ivy can teach you everything." I said with a big smile.

"But what about school? My father? Money?"

"Ivy will start homeschool on Monday, we will get a teacher for you too, and Damon while he's here. Your father won't bother you again. And you don't need to worry about it, I have plenty."

"Why can't I continue going to school?"

"The twins have an enemy, he's after me too, and while he's still out there I don't want to risk it, this house has security all over the place, several safe rooms, that Ivy will show to you later."

"And how do you know my father won't bother me? Did you kill him?"

"No, I wanted to do it though, but I shot his hands for touching you. But just in case he tries anything, i-if you don't mind- will adopt you and Theo, I know judges and I can get the papers including the ones about his name in a couple of days. Everything is up to you love, if you stay you will be part of my family and I will treat you just like Ivy, but if this is too much we can find-"

"I'll stay." She said, and my heart stopped for a second.

"Really?"

"It will take me some time to get used to everything but yes. You helped me when I needed the most, you're not as horrible as they say." She said and we laughed. I got up and hugged her right.

"Thank you, if at any time this becomes too much don't feel like you can't talk to me okay? I will never get mad at you for telling me your thoughts even the bad ones."

"Thank you again." She said and I held her tighter, but then the baby cries made us pull apart, she went to her brother and picked him up, her face turned to disgust.

"Oh, my goodness he has poo to his neck." I laughed at her face.

"Come on let's give him a bath. I need to open a window in here." I said, we took care of Theo, well I took care of him but I don't mind, she needs a rest from being his mother.

While I cleaned and dressed him, I gave her my laptop and told her to buy everything she likes for her and him, including furniture for their rooms, we only stopped when our stomachs growled, asking for food. We went downstairs, but then I remember I had to face the twins.

I do not run when things get tough, but how much tougher things will get?

Please let Liam be wrong for once, let the twins act like nothing happened, I don't mind being another notch on their bedpost.

Because they are in mine.