six :)

All American Girl - Carrie Underwood

I was sitting on the couch, Izzy's head in my lap as she slept. I leaned against the arm rest as i looked around the dark room. I'd just woken up, which makes sense as to why its so dark.

I grabbed my phone after my eyes had adjusted only to be blinded by the light. I turned my brightness down and tried to fight the burning in my eyes as i tried to adjust.

After a while I heard footsteps down the hall. They git closer and closer until they stopped.

"You're awake rather late into the night." My uncle said softly.

"Can I ask something, Uncle Jimmy?" I asked, ignoring his comment.

"Hit me, kid."

"So, a few weeks ago during the video call. Did you notice i wasn't there? Did they tell you why I wasn't? Did it even come up?" I asked, thinking back to that night so long ago. It still hurt, but i couldn't do anything about it.

"Of course i noticed. I asked where you were and Mom Mom said you were asleep cause you hadn't been feeling well or sleeping well. I told them to let you sleep despite how much i wanted to hear about school and soccer and everything. Asterin, i knew i'd be coming home to you soon. I sucked it up for that reason, otherwise i'd have spent that forty minutes i had waking you up." He explained. I nodded, understanding why but also not really.

"I destroyed my room that night. I cussed at Mom Mom, Dad.." I said softly, knowing i slipped up but not caring anymore.

"I have a question for you kid." He said, kneeling down next to the arm of the couch.

"Hm.." I hummed, leaning on his arm.

"Why don't you correct yourself when you slip up and call me dad?"

Good question..

"Because sometimes its not a slip up and other times i just dint care because you are my dad, you're not just my uncle anymore. You never have been." I said quietly, falling asleep on his arm. He quickly stood up and carefully moved me and Izzy down. He sat diwn next to me and i laid my head on him.

"I really really missed you, Uncle Jimmy, and i really really don't want you to go again.." I said in a whisper, falling asleep on him as he replied.

—————

I woke back up and everything was bright. I was still laying in Uncle Jkmmy and Izzy was still laying on me. My eyes didnt wanna open and I could feek the headache start to roll in.

Sorry Izzy.

I closed my eyes and just listened in to everything else around me.

"Mom Mom look." Asher said softly.

"I know." She said with a small laugh. "They've been like that since i started making food. he must have cone out here earlier this morning."

"She really missed him." Asher said in a whisper.

"I know, he's here for so long that it's gonna crush her again."

Damn, talk about me much.

"She's so much like him Mom Mom. Sometimes i just wanna like, i don't even know. There are times i have to avoid her because she's so much like him and it hurts me too."

"Alright, let's talk about this later. Asterin is gonna wake up soon, her internal alarm."

"She's been awake." Uncle Jimmy said, knowing how I am. "Her breathing changed a few minutes ago."

Fuck you.

"What, she's sound asleep." Asher said, a waver in his voice labeled as uncertainty.

"No, she's awake."

"How would you know?!" Asher yelled as Mom Mom just laughed at the irony.

"We have facetimed sleepovers a lot. She snores, she is not snore."

"I do not snore!" I yelled, jumping up quickly to defend myself.

"You do! You so do!" She said with a laugh. I rolled my eyes and laud back down on my uncle.

"Also, you don't know me that well, Uncle Jimmy."

"I do too, Asterin." He said with a confident chuckle.

"Who's my favorite person ever!"

"Me!" He said confidently.

"Wrong! It's Tilly!"

"TILLY MY BELOVED!" Izzy screamed and rolled off the couch dramatically.

"Tilly is a dog!" Uncle Jimmy yelled back.

"So?! She's my favorite person ever! Then Dutch! Then Winnie! Then you! Then Izzy and Caroline and Mars and Kai and all the way at the bottom is Asher."

"HEY!" Asher screamed as we all started laughing.