21- A bond

Sameera sighed not knowing what to think about the situation. "So there's nothing I can do right?" She asked the three youngsters for confirmation.

Gyaan nodded, feeling guilty about not being able to help her. Sameera gave him a small smile, assuring him that it wasn't his fault. She turned towards the twins to assure them too, but the twins had different plans altogether.

"You can still practice," Ahana spoke up.

"But Gyaan said....," Sameera trailed off.

"He just has bookish knowledge," Ahana brushed off Gyaan's words and explained her side of thoughts. "Even if air has the power to decide whether help you or not, you can still control it for a few seconds, right?" She asked with raised eyebrows.

Sameera nodded hurriedly, feeling that the firegirl had some way. "Yeah, if I concentrate hard then I can control it for a few seconds."

"Exactly! If you can do this without practicing then what would happen if you practice real hard and also meditate to enhance your concentration?" Ahana wiggled her eyebrows at the other three people, knowing that she had hit the jackpot.

"Yes!" Neer cheered, congratulating Sameera.

"We don't know if this may work...," Gyaan started but stopped when he saw Ahana's glare.

"There's no harm in trying," Neer interjected, before those two started a fight.

"True. Who knows maybe the practice would work and Sameera might be able to control her power for more time," Ahana added.

"You are right. We should try until and unless we know for sure," Sameera agreed.

Sameera and the twins looked at Gyaan expectantly, making him sigh and agree at last.

"Alright then. Let's not waste time and start the practice right now itself," Gyaan spoke, making the others cheer.

"Cool, our first goal would be 30 seconds," Ahana said excitedly, before taking out her mobile from her pocket.

Neer raised his eyebrows at her actions.

"To keep track of time. Stopwatch," Ahana answered his unasked question as she waved her phone in front of his eyes.

"What's that?" Sameera asked curiously.

"Huh?" Neer and Ahana frowned, not understanding Sameera's lack of knowledge.

"That's a mobile phone," Gyaan answered Sameera as the twins were too out of it to speak.

"You are joking right?" Sameera chuckled. "Phones aren't this slim. They are too heavy to hold. Plus phones are so expensive. How will youngsters like Ahana and Neer have them? You need to be earning for a lot more years for you to afford a phone," Sameera spoke with a laugh.

Her laughter died down when she saw that the others didn't join her.

"This...this doesn't even have the push buttons to call," Sameera added, but this time a lot hesitantly.

Ahana went to the call option of her phone and showed the keypad to Sameera, "This?"

Sameera bit her lips as understanding dawned upon her.

"World has gotten a lot different since 24 years," Sameera muttered with a sardonic chuckle. "I am a lost cause. Don't know why am I even trying," mumbling to herself, Sameera stood up with sadness, and left without a word.

While walking she bumped into Avan who had been hiding behind a bush.

"Why are you hiding?" Sameera asked with alarm.

"Ssssh." Avan pointed a finger to his lips, while pulling her beside him. "We are playing hide and seek," he informed her in a whisper.

"Oh okay, you play. I will go," Sameera said, trying to stand up but Avan didn't leave her hand.

"What?" She asked him in a low voice.

Avan silently patted the seat beside him, while looking out to see if anyone was near.

Not finding anyone, Avan smiled and turned towards Sameera who was waiting for him.

"What happened? You look really sad," Avan questioned. He looked comical as he tried to look serious in his crouching position.

Sameera was just going to say that she was fine and nothing was wrong, but there was something in those innocent eyes that made her blurt out everything.

"I was away for many years. And now I don't know how this world works. I am a duffer who doesn't even know how to use a mobile," Sameera vented out, not really hoping for any solution or advice from the kid.

"So what? I also don't know how to use a mobile other than playing games on it. And I don't understand many things too. But I am not a duffer," Avan responded cutely, "I will learn it all slowly as I grow up. I will become very smart like my Mom and Dad. And even then, I will keep learning, like my Mom does. She says that there is always something new to learn."

Avan didn't even realize what he did in his innocence. His simplicity gave Sameera a new light. Although she was a lot older than Avan, there was no harm in learning everything all over again. She had to start over like a small kid and start learning about this world through baby steps.

"Thank you, Avan," Sameera whispered with gratitude.

"Huh?" Avan didn't know why Aunty was thanking him but he shrugged it off and answered the automatic response, "Welcome," with a wide smile on his face.

"Oh! Ayaan is here. Sssh," Avan whispered before bending his head to hide from his brother.

Noticing that Sameera didn't bend, Avan pulled her hands, or rather tried to pull with his small energy. Sameera laughed internally, before following Avan's lead and bending her body in a way that she couldn't be seen.

As she was hiding, Sameera recalled Neer's helpful nature, Ahana's warmth and Avan's innocent way of encouraging her.

Knowingly or unknowingly, Sameera had formed a bond with her fellow elements.