The return

"No! Enough! Please! No!"

I wake up to the sound of shouting and crying from the body laying next to me. I roll over, Loki's back to me, his beautiful pale skin reflecting the moonlight that steamed through a gap in the curtains. I almost forget why I woke up in the first place as I stare at his beautiful body. Then he shouts out again.

"Stop! Please, stop!"

I narrow my eyes, rubbing away the sleep from them. Blinking a few times to adjust to the darkness of the room so I could see him properly. I could see Loki was trembling, the sheets draped over his hips drenched in sweat as well as the ends of his obsidian hair. But despite all the yelling, Loki was definitely asleep.

"Loki?" I asked tentatively, putting my hand on his back. "Loki are you alright?"
He felt cold and clammy, his skin sticky under my hand.

"I beg you! Please... don't!" Loki sobbed. I sat up onto my knees as I looked over him. His face was pale, his dark brows furrowed so tightly that crinkles were disturbing the smooth skin around his eyes. His nostrils were flared and his lips were parted, releasing shaky breaths. His hands were balled into fists, white knuckled and death gripped onto the pillow. His body jolted as he screamed, ripping the bottom of the pillow, causing feathers to fly out around him.

He was having a nightmare, that much was apparent. I know that Loki is very much haunted from his past, he's had immeasurable amounts of trauma in his life so truly I'm not surprised that he's having a nightmare. I am surprised however, that I haven't known him to have one whilst I've been with him.

I can tell that this nightmare in particular is bad by the way he hasn't woken up yet, despite the intense shaking of his body and the strangled cries being ripped from his throat.
I shake him lightly, hoping to just disturb his nightmare without waking him suddenly.

I've learned my lesson the hard way from when Bucky choked me out after a nightmare, these things need to be done delicately.
"Loki wake up. Everything's okay, it's just a dream. Wake up." I whisper, shaking him a bit harder.

"Stop this! Please! I beg of you!"

"Loki it's me. It's okay. Wake up." I plead.

"I'll do anything! Please don't do this!" He sobs.

"Lohks please wake up baby, it's okay."

"No... no... NO!!"

Loki's eyes sprung open and he flew up and out of the bed, landing ungraciously against a wall, one arm resting flat on the surface. His forehead pressed to his arm as he released deep, angry sobs.

"Loki?" I whisper.

I see his body stiffen, his cries becoming more quiet at the sound of my voice. He turns around slowly and as he locked eyes with me I could see the tears falling down his cheeks.

"Min kjære... you're here..." Loki whispers.
"I'm right here Lohks, I never left." I say softly, giving him a small smile.
"You're... you're okay." He says, his eyes studying me as if unsure.
"Of course I am." I murmur. "Come here." I say, reaching my hand out to him.

Loki nods and comes towards the bed, slowly and unsteady on his feet. As he stops at the bedside, he reaches out and brushed his shaking hand along my palm. His fingers dancing along my wrist, along my forearm, the soft inner skin of my elbow to my tricep, across my shoulder, up my neck and finally resting on my cheek.

"Oh gods..." Loki mumbled, tears pooling in his eyes as he cupped my cheek. I sigh into his touch, nuzzling my face into his palm. Turning my head slightly, I kiss his hand, my eyes never leaving his.